• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Guitar library for live use

Share/Bookmark

Guitar library for live use

I've been trying to do searches for something on this topic, but I was wondering if there was a guitar library that would be easily suited to live use. I am doing a 50-60's review and the synth, while also covering strings and organ at times, will also need to cover the guitar part. The majority of the show would simply be offbeat chords, but towards the end of the show as the style moves towards the 70's the guitar starts having more distortion (Janis Joplin, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, etc.) and some short solos which will need to be played. Just wondering if there was one library that I could manipulate to have all the styles I need and not be too modern sounding, had a nice set of built in effects and amp simulators (as I usually don't do much with guitar and would love to buy just one program) and had simple keyswitching for making solo lines work. (A program that automatically alternated from up and down strokes would be nice too, as I'd like to keep the other hand free to cover other things if possible. (I typically set my sounds up through Kontakt.) Any info or advice is greatly appreciated, but even just listing sample sets would be great since I am very unfamiliar with what is out there for guitars. (From everything I've seen, are either of the Prominy libraries right for this? Or the Fab Four set?) Thanks!

Re: Guitar library for live use

Quote Originally Posted by musikmik View Post
    I've been trying to do searches for something on this topic, but I was wondering if there was a guitar library that would be easily suited to live use. I am doing a 50-60's review and the synth, while also covering strings and organ at times, will also need to cover the guitar part. The majority of the show would simply be offbeat chords, but towards the end of the show as the style moves towards the 70's the guitar starts having more distortion (Janis Joplin, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, etc.) and some short solos which will need to be played. Just wondering if there was one library that I could manipulate to have all the styles I need and not be too modern sounding, had a nice set of built in effects and amp simulators (as I usually don't do much with guitar and would love to buy just one program) and had simple keyswitching for making solo lines work. (A program that automatically alternated from up and down strokes would be nice too, as I'd like to keep the other hand free to cover other things if possible. (I typically set my sounds up through Kontakt.) Any info or advice is greatly appreciated, but even just listing sample sets would be great since I am very unfamiliar with what is out there for guitars. (From everything I've seen, are either of the Prominy libraries right for this? Or the Fab Four set?) Thanks!

I don't have RealStrat, but my guess this would be most suited for what you are trying to do.

Chris Hein Guitars seems like it has pretty good real time playability too.

I love Prominy's LPC, but I am not sure this is the best use for it.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

got to agree with jeffn1...

realstrat is basic to use and quite intuetive... however the quality isn't that great... then again once run through guitar rig or amplitube or whatever you're using it'll be fine...

Chris Hein Guitar runs through Kontakt2 and sounds amazing... there are some new video demos on http://www.chrishein.net/guitar/chg_...videodemos.htm

be sure to check out the LIVE viedeos at the bottom of the list... this will give you an idea of how it sounds... played live...

Check it out and choose for yourself....

lioNel
    lioNel

www.lionelwharton.de
    www.myspace.com/lionelwharton
    www.youtube.com/ludicrouslionel

Have you checked the video demos that we recently posted? The videos demonstrate the incredible realtime playability of SC Electric Guitar.
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=61329

Each of the guitar libraries mentioned in this thread have its own great sounds and features. I hope you are happy with whatever you choose.

Pettinhouse DirectGuitar.
    Very good and remarkably easy to use. You'll need some sort of amp simulation software though (or a real amp), because this guitar is recorded completely dry and unprocessed (which makes it very versatile of course).

The CH guitars are very good as well, but they require rather a lot of (midi-)control & keyswitching to get the best out of them, which might not always be very convenient in a live situation.
    As for Fab Four: wonderful collection of idiomatic sounds, but with a *very* recognizeable Beatles' stamp. Not really ideal as an all-round guitar substitute, I feel.

If I had to choose, I'd definitely pick the Pettinhouse.

_

Chris Hein, Real Strat or Pettinhouse...?

Ok pettinhouse is definitely up there at the top... just checked out the audio demos and i love the attack... that first bit on the sample that just makes the sound tasty.... round robbin is how they do it. CH uses the chord mode and up to 13 velocity layers making it virtually impossible to hit the same sample twice.

You still have more tweaking possibilities to really define your very own sound... it all depends if you're more of a plug-and play guy or not...

lioNel
    lioNel

www.lionelwharton.de

Piet De Ridder,

I have begun to take faith in many of your opinions.

3 suggestions you have made recently have proven to be spot on.

My only problem is that I have Gigastudio 4 as host for VSTi's, and there are still a few compatability issues w/ certain apps.

VSL, and many K2 / K3's appear to be working, but I am going to make certain that these apps are compatible before buying them.

I perform live w/ Gigastudio and Scope DSP cards, so my main concern is live performance, and many of these apps I am finding out are poor live performers.

My problems started when my favorite developers left Giga for K2 a few years ago, hence the need for VSTi based apps, but many are not well suited for live work.

Thankfully GS4 appears to be a good host, and at the same time there are some really talented developers getting involved and doing new performance features and instruments that other developers wouldn't go near.

Time will tell, but your opinions are something I shall keep considering, thanks again.
    JimmyV

Yeah i use my setup live too... and love it... the possibilities are limitless... at the moment I'm running a pretty basic setup whith GalaxyII Grand, then loads of effects then Massive split up over my 88Key Doepfer Masterkeyboard, and whith two keyswitches I can switch up and down between the patches...

It's great....

The host is Mainstage.... sofar so good...
    lioNel

www.lionelwharton.de

I would go for Chris Hein Guitars. Live playability is very good. If you use the Chord Mode 2 you can play both, single notes and chords at the same time and do some awesome change of articulations using the expression pedal. You can use keyswitches as well which makes things more complex but you don´t have to.
    You can get CHG as single instruments as well (afaik) but the choice is hard (wouldn´t want to live without the Jazz Guitar, the Clean Guitar and the Nylon Guitar)

I love RealGuitar as well but am not completely taken away by RealStrat. Playability is very good (chord mode especially) but soundwise CHG is far ahead.

Pettinhouse´s Direct Guitar is very good (best bang for the buck) but has no chord mode. Does sound very good for picking style guitar music and is easy to play (not too many bells and whistles).

In any case get a good amp simulation (I personally love Amplitube 2). Makes a 200% difference.

Before I forget: You should have an external firewire disc for sample streaming (at least with CHG) as the laptop´s internal discs are too slow for that purpose.

best regards
    Raindog

Great choices for sure but I bought the $^&&^%^$#@! Direct Guitar because I don't need chords played for me, or built in effects and such. Just the Meat and Potatoes, and for a meger 119 USD it seemed to be the choice for guys who already have outboard gear and just want the best recordings dry.

I thought I'd save the Moderator the hassle of deleting the company's name and did it myself.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum