• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best library for small room/solo instruments

Share/Bookmark

Best library for small room/solo instruments

I need to find a good library for small chamber group setups with lots of realism (say, terrific solo instrument sounds with lots of articulations and good velocity switching etc).

Can anyone recommend a library/set of libraries that would work for something like that?

Thanks in advance!

PS. I see people seem to like VSL a lot, but 1) it seems more "orchestral/large room/full sections" in nature?, and 2) it sounds like it's a nightmare trying to figure out what you actually get with a given package?

Re: Best library for small room/solo instruments

Also I've noticed VSL seems to be pretty dark sounding for chamber work. Is that impression accurate?

VSL. Plus they have a very efficient easy to use player. Unless you absolutely want to use your sample in a sampler.

I also find X-samples solo strings to be good for that genre but VSL is a lot more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    VSL. Plus they have a very efficient easy to use player. Unless you absolutely want to use your sample in a sampler.
    Thanks geronimo. Which VSL in particular do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by MChilds View Post
    Thanks geronimo. Which VSL in particular do you mean?
    Well they have chamber strings and solo strings. Get both if you have enough $.

Great, thanks!

Anyone have any thoughts on non-string instruments?

MChilds,

There are three brands which provide excellent tools for chamber-sized simulations:
    1. VSL (all of its 'solo' libraries, plus the small ensemble libraries such as the Chamber Strings and the Woodwind Ensembles)
    2. Anything from Westgate
    3. Anything from XSample

Obviously, not every instrument is equally successfully captured by each of those developers, but believe me, if you focus primarily on these three, you can build yourself an extremely versatile and powerful toolset. (I write almost nothing but chamber-type pieces of music and I rely heavily on these three, with not entirely displeasing results.)

And if you want to add truly expressive performances which no existing sample library can offer, you should also look at WIVI and Synful (not sample libraries, but dedicated softsynths for emulating acoustic instruments). They both still struggle a bit with timbre (Synful more so than WIVI), but they more than make up for it by offering complete control over articulation and performance (which is often just as important as timbre).

And should you ever require a trumpet, only one solution: The Trumpet.

The only other thing you need then, is a really great reverb, like Altiverb. Don't overlook this element, cause it's really important.

_

Thanks!

(and since the forum won't let me post just "Thanks," cause it tells me it's too short, here are some extra characters for no reason whatsoever.)

Westgate Oboe for sure.

I always find that instruments that sound fine inside of my DAW for recording do not sound as good in live recordings, which I have frequently done as a source of referrencing.

Screaming Trumpets, Westgate Oboe, and my XSample Mallets, especially the Steel Drums, sound very realistic when a live performance of a 5 piece group were recorded.

As I said, they also sound very well inside of my own DAW, where I can make most instruments solo well as I control every aspect of the recording, but live performance is a whole different experience.
    JimmyV

Your best all round bet would be VSL - no doubt.

But its a very expenssive solution. In regards to the size and darkness - its all up to the room you "place" the samples in. That's what so great about it.

Go Back to forum