• Register
  • Help

Topic: Random Tunings For Drum Hits?

Share/Bookmark

Random Tunings For Drum Hits?

I\'m sure there has to be a way to automate this, but I don\'t know how!? It\'s come to my attention that a cheap way to make your toms and snare hits sound more realistic, especially when doing a roll, is to simply change the micro-tuning of each hit. My question is, How would I set up my sequencer to talk to GigaStudio and alter the micro-tunings of an instrument with every hit? Say + or - a certain range? Better yet, how about getting documentation how to make an NFX plug in where you give it + or - range from a static value, that alters the micro-tunings (or course?) before every hit? Maestro Tools for drum hits???

Re: Random Tunings For Drum Hits?

Yeah...how do you do this?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Munsie:
    I\'m sure there has to be a way to automate this, but I don\'t know how!? It\'s come to my attention that a cheap way to make your toms and snare hits sound more realistic, especially when doing a roll, is to simply change the micro-tuning of each hit. My question is, How would I set up my sequencer to talk to GigaStudio and alter the micro-tunings of an instrument with every hit? Say + or - a certain range? Better yet, how about getting documentation how to make an NFX plug in where you give it + or - range from a static value, that alters the micro-tunings (or course?) before every hit? Maestro Tools for drum hits??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you\'re using any of the pro sequencers on the market, just randomize the pitch wheel setting, and set up your drum instrument to respond to it in the Giga editor.

On thing to note, though, is that it really doesn\'t do much to solve the machine gun effect. Pitch mainly affects the tail of the note, where it has some tonality. The machine gun phenomenon is caused by the rapid firing of the same attack.

Fortunately, there are all kinds of tricks to overcome this. The best one is simply to find LOTS of different drum samples (maybe in other libraries in your collection), and put them into a wave editor. Vegas or any similar nondestructive editor is great for this. Make copies of the velocity layers of your drum, and graft all sorts of different attacks onto them...just a few milliseconds at the beginning of the sample will do it. Then arrange these in order of \"aggressiveness\" and recompile a new GIG file using your newly saved samples.

In short, don\'t be afraid to really deconstruct and reconstruct, combine, do whatever to the library material you own. Of course, re-marketing these results is strictly taboo (and 100% illegal), but as a user you have the right to do it for your own personal use.

Seems that in the \"age of Giga\" people are less motivated to alter and create their own samples, but this is the most potent power of the medium and a way to make things truly your own in terms of a unique sound.

(If you\'re using any of the pro sequencers on the market, just randomize the pitch wheel setting, and set up your drum instrument to respond to it in the Giga editor.)

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the idea. This should work. I\'m using CalkeWalk, any ideas how to make the pitch wheel talk to a giga instrument on a specific midi channel? Sorry, but I\'ve never done this.

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 03-11-2002).]

Munsie

First you have to make the Giga patch responsive to pitch bend. That means going into the editor and altering the pitch bend range in the properties area. I think the default for a new instrument is 0 pitch bend range, so my guess is most instruments won\'t come set up to respond to the bender.

Once you\'ve done this, as long as you\'re current track is assigned to the Giga channel, moving the pitch wheel should affect the instrument.

Go Back to forum