• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rendering a Steinway MIDI Song

Share/Bookmark

Rendering a Steinway MIDI Song

Thanks in advance for reading this post. I'm new to this forum so I'm greatful for any help.

I recently purchased the Garritan Steinway sampler for a project that I'm working on. I'm a Sonar user currently using Sonar 7.01 Producer edition on a quad Q6600 machine. I have been having problems bouncing/rendering my MIDI recordings to wave files. It's not that I don't know how to do this but that the resulting .WAV file has notes from the MIDI song chopped off. I have had to make as many as three attempts to get a good .WAV file. This been an intermittant thing on this project which has 14 songs. Presently there are only vocal and piano in these songs. I do realize that the stand-alone part of the software has its own option to render within the program itself, although this is not the way I choose to work. For those of you that may be familiar with Sonar I have had to turn off the 64-bit mix engine in Sonar just to get the sampler to render properly. The Stienway plug-in is the ony VST sampler that I have to use this way.

Disclaimer: I'm not here to bash the Steinway sampler. On the contrary, I love the program. It's hands down the best piano sampler I've heard.

Can anyone offer any help or suggestions?

Respectfully,
    Rich

Re: Rendering a Steinway MIDI Song

Hi, I have to use the audible bounce option in the "Freeze Options" dialog box. The fast bounce option doesn't work for me if I have any effects applied to the tracks. When I freeze the track(s) in real time and then export the audio (using the "What You Hear-Realtime Audible" preset, I don't have any problems. John

PM sent with possible SteinwayVST_x86.dll "fix" for this.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Whenever you bounce/mix/export a midifile, playing a discstreaming instrument, you only can do this in realtime!

This is because the sampler/player has to stream all the right samples and the disc will not be fast enough to export a file in "fast bounce" way.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks everyone for your responses. For the record I have always used the fast bounce option on other VST's with no problems. I did try bouncing in real time (non-fast bounce) with no change in resluts. David, thank you for the PM. I will try replacing the *.dll file with the one you emailed me. I am at work now and will have to wait. I will post my resluts here to keep those interested informed.

Regards,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Whenever you bounce/mix/export a midifile, playing a discstreaming instrument, you only can do this in realtime!

This is because the sampler/player has to stream all the right samples and the disc will not be fast enough to export a file in "fast bounce" way.

Gunther
    Aria is engineered to detect if the host is doing a bounce, and then it turns on a special mode where it can read the needed audio bits right away, bypassing streaming.

In this particular reported issue, Aria was just "misinformed" by Sonar about its intentions.
    This fix i made helped me get the expected results under 7.0.2 (fast bounce),.

I dont get however, the point of Sonar's fast bounce "off", especially with audio audition "off", as this is , to me, the same as real time.

Anxiously awaiting reports!

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    Aria is engineered to detect if the host is doing a bounce, and then it turns on a special mode where it can read the needed audio bits right away, bypassing streaming. ...
    Very coooool, David!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

David,
    I replaced the *.dll file per your instructions. I only had time to make one rendering, and this was a fast bounce with the 64-bit mix engine on (Iwas not able to do this before). So, it appears that this has fixed the problem.

Thank you so much,
    Rich

I am hoping this will be included in the first Aria update.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    I am hoping this will be included in the first Aria update.
    Of course,
    now that we know the fix worked fine.

Cheers

Go Back to forum