• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ketron's SD2 Orchestral Sound Module

Ketron's SD2 Orchestral Sound Module

Anyone use this, or have any experience with this? I have one for about two weeks, and am VERY impressed with the sounds. Coming from someone who uses EWQLSO, this says alot.

Here's a link to the unit:

From there, you can see what else they have; seems like they have some pretty neat stuff on the market.

Anyway, the SD2 retails for around $380.00 - for the price there's no way it can be beat. Apparently, the sound engine in the SD2 is the same engine as in their high end keyboards - kinda like Korg taking a Triton and making a sound module from the sounds.

It got a couple of good reviews at Harmony Central:

Anyway, as I said, I am very impressed and pleasantly surprised with the way this unit sounds. I wasn't expecting a whole hell of alot for something in this price range, but this definitely sounds bigger and better than what the price tag actually is. And it works great with Cubase - just plug it in to the wall, and to my MIDI interface, and go.

Anyone else have any thoughts, or use this, or any of their other products?

Re: Ketron's SD2 Orchestral Sound Module

the Band in a Box and Jammer Pro crowd seem to hold it in high esteem.

Could you do a "review" of it, in light of the fact you use EWQLSO!

To be honest, this didnt impress me much. I guess i expected something much better than this.

I visited their stand at the last Musikmesse in Germany and asked to myself: "Is that not embarrassing?" Now, when we write the year 2008!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Not all bad- I was pretty impressed with the section jazz trumpets, percussion, drums and keyboard sounds. Some of the guitar sounded pretty great to me. But I'd stay a million miles away from those orchestral sounds though. Ouch on those strings, whoo!

I passed this up and decided to go for the Roland Sonic Cell with World and Complete Orchestra card for rompler stuff.

and the Roland Sonic Cell is much more than only a rompler!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi all.

There is very little in depth evaluation of the SD2 out there. More over, alsmost no one talks broadly about strings which is the most difficult and important part to emulate. I listened to the demos. Actually, to my ears, they sounded quite well. I agree, the big band is very good, except that it sounds canned because they use a bass guitar in stead of a regular fiddle or electric bass. But I don't understand how a serious company would use a Smooth Jazz ensemble to demo an orchestra, which they do. Though it sounds very well (the soprano sax at the end is totally great) it's NOT an orchestral demo. Anyway, as I stated, nobody has anything elaborate to say about, say, how would 24 violins in FF sound above G6, where even the best software synths and sample libraries sound quite synthetic. True, customer support quickly answered my question whether one can put together 24 violins at all, afirmatively. But how it would sound, there's no audio to check. Then, there's no USB connection on the module. Comon, this is already a standard that is on most controllers, including my Axiom61, for the past 3-4 years and what a leap this is compared to those bulky and costly MIDI cables. We are not at the beginning of the technology for USB to be an option, and that only on high end machinery. This was my first qualm with Ketron. I simply won't buy technology that uses obsolete spear parts that add to the cost. The MIDI to USB cable has to be bought separately. Why not a USB connection to begin with? This used to be a practice 10-15 years ago when you had to buy power supplies and cables separately. Yeah, our machine costs 299.99, but power supply is optional at 49.99 and a USB cable at 19.99. Bah.

In all, I'd like an in depth analysis of the machine's strings capabilities. The description states that it can do 386 (I may be incorrect here) instruments. Brass, woodwinds, percussion, piano, and more. More? Anyone can say that; it says nothing. What's in that more? If you go to Miroslav's site, they have their instruments, articulations and play modes laid out on more than 106 pages. This is what I want, otherwise everything sounds like a promise.

Sorry for the long litany.

Go Back to forum