• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Help Needed

Share/Bookmark

Help Needed

Okay, we just started using the Garritan libraries (bought them last Christmas), and have some questions. We like the ability to custom control things like bowing directions and so forth, but all the instructions on how to do that seem to assume that you're entering the bowing as you play the part on a keyboard. In our case, we have some older MIDI files that we want to import into CuBase SX3, assign voices to them, and then add the bowing and other nice touches that should (hopefully) make the songs sound so much better.

So far, by just using the GPO instrument voices, the songs sound much better than they did using the default MIDI voices. However, we want to juice them up even more.

So the question is, how do I add up/down bowings (and other similar touches) to an already existing MIDI track?

For the record, we use Noteworthy Composer as our notation software, then import the MIDI into CuBase SX3 for mixing.

Re: Help Needed

The bowings are added by keyswitch, which you can do it either program, although it will probably be easier in cubase.

To add the keyswitch, in the piano roll view just draw a note of the right pitch (found in the manual) before the note that you want to change. In Noteworthy Composer, it would be the same thing except you draw a notehead in the right location (probably on a seperate staff sending to the same midi channel, although it shouldn't matter what staff you use as long as it goes to the right channel).

You can do this on an already existing midi file just by opening it up and doing the above.

If any of this is confusing or this isn't what you were after, just let us know and I (or someone else) will try to help again. Note that I don't use either program, but the steps should be similar in all programs like that.

--Richard

It took me a while, but I do think I figured it out. If I did, thanks a ton. If I didn't, please correct me.

What you're saying is that GPO interprets D# (in the keyswitch octave) as the upbow command, so simply add the keyswitch note before you want the bowing to take effect. I assume that the keyswitch is active until changed?

So I would start the violin part with a keyswitch D (auto alternate up/down bowing with each note), then when I want it to slur three on an up-bow I add in the D# note before the slur, then the keyswitch D afterwards.

Once we modify the score to add keyswitches, it's essentially unplayable without GPO voices, as the keyswitch notes would be interpreted as playable notes.

Did I get it right?

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    yes!

you'll also need to set CC64 to 127 to enable the legato mode for slurs, otherwise each note of your slur will be re-articulated.

Jon
    Okay, keeping mind that I'm just figuring this out (with your help!), how do I "set CC64 to 127" for my existing MIDI file?

And here's another question (or two). Does the duration of the switchkey note matter? Will inserting a quarter-note switchkey in the middle of a trill cause a delay in the real playback? Or are notes outside the instruments range completely ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongCV View Post
    Okay, keeping mind that I'm just figuring this out (with your help!), how do I "set CC64 to 127" for my existing MIDI file?

And here's another question (or two). Does the duration of the switchkey note matter? Will inserting a quarter-note switchkey in the middle of a trill cause a delay in the real playback? Or are notes outside the instruments range completely ignored?
    You might want to check out the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi available at the link in my signiture. The Scripting generates virtually all the midi data required for a realistic performance allowing you to concentrate your efforts on the notes and dynamics. The Midi automation the multi provides includes keyswitching for bow direction and switching to the legato samples (cc64 / cc68) automatically on overlapped notes. The site includes examples of multis with renderings of midi files freely available on the web.

MMOSC, I looked at the script and am willing to try it, but as is obvious I'm something of a beginner here. Once I download it, how do I actually use the script on a MIDI track in Cubase?

jjloving, I got at least one of the keyswitches working. Now I just have to spend the time sculpting until I get the performance how I want it. Thanks, guy.

MMOSC, I looked at the script and am willing to try it, but as is obvious I'm something of a beginner here. Once I download it, how do I actually use the script on a MIDI track in Cubase?
    Once installed the PMPM_def multi will show up under the User Multi dropdown in the K2 Player browser. Select it and answer yes to "replace multi" The scripting occurs at the multi level. Then select your instruments and assign midi channels. Be sure to insert a Midi Program Change that cooresponds to each instrument. That's it, all automation is based on the midi notes and velocity only. No modwheel etc necessary. The documentation included with the install goes into more detail.

MMOSC, okay, I'm part of the way there. I downloaded and installed the thing, and then selected it for the Strad Solo KS instrument. So far so good. However, and keeping in mind that I'm a rank beginner doing this, some of the instructions in the PDF tell me to do things I don't know how to do. They're probably dirt simple, I just need to know how.

"In your sequencer or notation program add a Program Change Patch that corresponds to the loaded instrument on the midi."
    The chart below this indicates that I should load patch 45 (Strad solo KS, tremolo), but I don't know how to "add a program change patch". How do I do this in CuBase SX3?

"For the Stradivari and Gofriller set the Bank Change CC0) to 10 set the Articulation (CC29) to a low positive value and set the Vibrato."
    Straight forward instructions, except again I don't know how to set the Bank Change and Articulation values from inside Cubase SX3. From the documentation, it appears as if I can use a preset to set the default values, but I also need to be able to customize them. So, how do I do it?

Like I said, probably pretty basic things, I just need somebody to point me in the right direction.

MMOSC, okay, I'm part of the way there. I downloaded and installed the thing, and then selected it for the Strad Solo KS instrument. So far so good. However, and keeping in mind that I'm a rank beginner doing this, some of the instructions in the PDF tell me to do things I don't know how to do. They're probably dirt simple, I just need to know how.

"In your sequencer or notation program add a Program Change Patch that corresponds to the loaded instrument on the midi."
    The chart below this indicates that I should load patch 45 (Strad solo KS, tremolo), but I don't know how to "add a program change patch". How do I do this in CuBase SX3?

"For the Stradivari and Gofriller set the Bank Change CC0) to 10 set the Articulation (CC29) to a low positive value and set the Vibrato."
    Straight forward instructions, except again I don't know how to set the Bank Change and Articulation values from inside Cubase SX3. From the documentation, it appears as if I can use a preset to set the default values, but I also need to be able to customize them. So, how do I do it?

Like I said, probably pretty basic things, I just need somebody to point me in the right direction.
    I'm not familiar with Cubase but in most sequencers midi editing would be done in a piano roll view. Usually you can select Program Change, Continuous Controller, Pitch Bend etc then draw in values.

Okay, I think I got it. It's a little strange, and the terminology in Cubase is different than what you're using. CC0 is called "BankSelMSB", whatever that means. There's also a BankSelLSB (CC32), and I have no idea what the difference is.

So I selected BankSelMSB (it does indicate CC0 on the display) and painted a uniform 41 for the entire track. I used 41 because the chart says GPO solo violin and I'm using the GPO Strad Solo KS. Question: Is there a way to check and see if I set it correctly?

And a related question. A lot of the things I can set in the piano roll view sound promising (modulation, expression, attack, sustain, etc), but I can't find any resources dealing with what their actual effect is. In other words, what they do to the sound. I've tried making changes and listening, but the change is often subtle and I'm not always certain what I'm hearing. So, is there a document or something somewhere that contains descriptions of these things and what effect they have on the sound?

I may have other questions, but I'll post them as they occur, and I'll probably open a new thread.

Thanks for all your help.

Go Back to forum