• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pressed for time? Listen to this!

Talking Pressed for time? Listen to this!

Hello again, everybody. I'm not much of a pianist, but I will (very rarely) dab in some piano composition. And, well, i've come up with this extremely short piece. Since my grasp of the piano is limited, it is difficult for me to sustain writing long piano solos. Though my intent is to leave this as is, there is a possibility I will extend it, or incorporate it into another song somewhere in the future

This uses the Steinway provided with GPO Finale '08 edition.

At 45 seconds long, I hope you enjoy this quick little song!

(this is my first time posting something using box.net, so bear with me if the links don't work!)

Sound File:

Sheet Music:

Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Pressed for time? Listen to this!

Hi, Michael! Short, sweet, and interesting!
    Will we hear some more Bagatelles like this one?
    I like Bagatelles because they are short... and hearing yours makes me want to compose some too.
    I enjoyed the listen!

The boxnet link works great. I think that is what I like about the site.

I also like a nice short piece. I am pressed for time right now, but was able to give this a repeated listening and then once more thru for fun.

I can see extending this if you so desire as the material can eawsily go further.

Well done

It did not seem that short but I think your player likes to loop so it probably played 3 times before I realized it. Anyway thanks for sharing this and I hope you will continue to write and develop you skills. Well done!

Piano seemed too far away or in a very big room for my taste and I love reverb.

Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Thanks a bunch for your kind words As far as more? Well, my piano pieces are few and far between. I usually only write something like this when I get a sudden random inspiration. (this one was from a mattress commercial, sadly enough ) But, I never really have had the chance to work with Finale GPO's Steinway, and with such a solid sound, it's difficult not to be inspired!

As always, your comments are greatly appreciated! As far as extending it, yes; I originally didn't plan to end it where I did, but when I got to that point, it just seemed like it was done Though, I'd definitely like to extend this, or incorporate it into a piece for full orchestra. However, if I were to extend it, when does it stop being called a bagatelle?!

Yes, the first time I listened to something on Box.net, I didn't know the player looped, so I ended up listening to a 3 minute song for like 15 minutes. The total time for this piece is 45 seconds. And thanks for your words of encouragement! As far as reverb goes, I agree that it does sound far off. I played around with 2 different wet/dry mixes. This one is closer to what I want, but not quite there yet. I figured it was sufficient quality since I'm not sure if I'm done with it or not

Thanks everyone for your comments!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Very nice -- could actually imagine this played much slower -- especially the motif in the beginning. Slow it down, play it pp and reminds me a bit of Arvo Part. Nevertheless, excellent as is. Liked the inversion of the motif near the end

Thanks for your comment! Yes, I could see this played much slower, or even with a bit of rubato throughout the piece. Perhaps I'll look into the easiest way of adding rubato in Finale '08... Thanks again!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Brevity is oft a virtue, Michael; and as I've no doubt
    said many (maybe too many) times... I love these
    short, self-contained encapsulations of a single idea.

How about a set of these?

My best,

Actually, I've written a second, even shorter, solo to go with this one. I may expand on this over time, who knows how long it will be!? But, I'll probably only add to it when I feel i get a good idea
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum