• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is this a good master DAW computer ?

Share/Bookmark

Is this a good master DAW computer ?

I can buy this PC brand new for $400. Can someone tell me if this would be a good PC for use as my master DAW ? I currently have Intel Core Duo with 2 Gig Ram, but want to upgrade.

Custom Built Performance PC
    Windows XP Pro -
    Processor- AMD 2.5 GHZ 64 X2 Dual Core
    Hard Drive- 120Gb SATA Hard Drive
    Memory- 3GB's RAM DDR2 800 (Supports up to 8 Gig Ram)
    Video Card- x1250 DVI and VGA monitor plugs
    Media Devices- 20x DVD/CD Burner
    PC has a PCI-Express slot.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
    ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    Liteon 20x DVD/CD Burner
    Seagate 120Gb SATA HDD
    Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply
    CORSAIR XMS2 3GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Memory

64 bit Support: Yes Hyper Transports: 2000MHz Hyper-Transport Support: Yes L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB L2 Cache: 2 x 512KB Manufacturing Tech: 65 nm

Windows XP Professional SP2
    "‘The heights by men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight,
    but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night
    .’ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow."

Re: Is this a good master DAW computer ?

If you want to upgrade to e.g. 4 Gb RAM, you will need 64bit XP to get all the benefits of memory management. Think of it that a lot of programs concerning music, midi, samples aren't written for 64 bits. They still use 32 bits environments..... Stuck to XP 32 bits? No use upgrading beyond 3 Gb.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    If you want to upgrade to e.g. 4 Gb RAM, you will need 64bit XP to get all the benefits of memory management. Think of it that a lot of programs concerning music, midi, samples aren't written for 64 bits. They still use 32 bits environments..... Stuck to XP 32 bits? No use upgrading beyond 3 Gb.

Raymond

So my question still remains. Will a 32 bit Application work on a 64Bit ? Will it work but only use up to 4 Gig Ram and not anymore ? Or is it completely incompatible with a 64 Bit machine ?

As I understand it, yes a 32 bit program will run on 64 bit fine. I believe that is what my brother is doing (i'll check).

Id go for that computer. Music software is all going 64 bit now, ARIA, Gigastudio, PLAY and other sample players are releasing/have released new 64 bit versions. Even if the DAW you choose (which DAW will it be?) isnt 64bit YET, the sample players will still be able to use additional RAM. ie. Not be limited to the 2Gb that any program in 32bit is.

I'd buy it and upgrade RAM and Harddrive immediately. In fact, ask for an upgrade...BIG question though, what soundcard will you use? Midi connection by USB or old school 5 pin? (or is it 6?!) There is no soundcard listed so im guessing it will be onboard sound... :S

I have an Emu1212, which I think is not 64 bit compatbile.
    So I will have to get a new soundcard. :-( BUMMER !!!

I don't know. I am just so frustrated with the shortage of RAM and the fact that my motherboard can only handle 2 GIG. I would go the 2 PC route, but I have no idea how it works, and I have read up on it a couple of times and posted threads and I still are completely unwise as to what I need, where to get it, and how to setup a 2 PC Master/Slave studio.

Thats my biggest wish to upgrade. Is the be able to have 1 64 bit Machine with 8 Gig Ram, with 4 eSata sample drives and do my magic !!

I have an Emu1212, which I think is not 64 bit compatible.
    So I will have to get a new soundcard. :-( BUMMER !!!

I don't know. I am just so frustrated with the shortage of RAM and the fact that my motherboard can only handle 2 GIG. I would go the 2 PC route, but I have no idea how it works, and I have read up on it a couple of times and posted threads and I still are completely unwise as to what I need, where to get it, and how to setup a 2 PC Master/Slave studio.

Thats my biggest wish to upgrade. Is the be able to have 1 64 bit Machine with 8 Gig Ram, with 4 eSata sample drives and do my magic !!

OOOO. I just saw on the EMU website, that my soundcard does support XP64 bit. Yahoooo!! So I guess all my products will then work.

But wait... how about my video card ? Does that need 64bit drivers as well ?

:-)

EMU 1212M is 64 bit compatible. I'm running it with Windows XP x64 and Sonar.

Spend the extra money and get at least an Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz or Quad core. It will blow the doors off the AMD you quoted above. Also, get at least 4 GB of RAM and make sure they are 2 GB sticks. The motherboard should have 4 memory slots. Using 2 GB sticks you will have 2 more slots available to bump up to 8 GB.

Jim

Haydn,

I currently have an Intel Core Duo 2. Is it better than the AMD 64 x2 that i want to get ? If it is, then there is no point in getting it. I will be downgrading. The only benefit will be the extra added RAM.

I thought a AMD 64x2 with 4 GB Ram is better than a Core Duo.

Empneo, I have addressed some of your questions on your other thread.

There is some software that enables you to hook up two machines, one as a MIDI slave. I haven't used it. Perhaps someone can comment on that. I think FX Teleport does that.

Go Back to forum