• Register
  • Help

Topic: DP6 is out.

Share/Bookmark

DP6 is out.

Pre-renders all plugins now, including virtual instruments, which should make performance top notch. The new feature list looks spot on and my guess is that the new interface features will give this the best workflow in a daw to date. The convolution reverb example they provide sounds pretty darn good and the real time and auto ducking features of it are great too.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/dp/features60/

Re: DP6 is out.

Ordered! Thanks for the heads up. Next to PLatinum Pro PLAY version, I have been waiting for DP6 for months. I have Logic 8 but I honestly prefer DP in most cases.

I have a quesetion about this. What exactly does pre-prender the instruments mean? What DP previously not buffering instrument playback ahead of time in a sample accurate fashion?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by dewdman42 View Post
    What exactly does pre-prender the instruments mean?
    Kinda wondering that myself....

http://www.motu.com/products/softwar...operation.html

I certainly don't know all the technical details of it, but my best guess is that not only is DP6 "buffering instrument playback ahead of time in a sample accurate fashion," which it was presumably doing already, it's doing that and rendering the VI output to disk before playback commences.

One would predict that activating this option yields a somewhat larger memory requirement per instrument and a larger file size on disk for an active session than before, neither of which is a big deal given the plentiful nature of memory and disk space in the modern daw. It's worth it if it buys you more CPU overhead. DP5 has already done this with effect plugins, and it definitely improves performance by a lot.

As well, DP has for some time now been pretty advanced as far as background processing which spools along constantly when playback is stopped - as far as i know, processing for beat and pitch detection in newly recorded soundbites takes off as soon as you stop recording, and continues in the background until the job is completed. Similar technique may possibly be invoked here.

See the following page:

http://www.motu.com/products/softwar...ancements.html

"Sample accurate timing — Third-party AU virtual instrument plug-ins are now 100% sample accurate, providing the tightest possible timing between MIDI tracks in DP6 and their AU instrument output."
    So I am taking that to mean that up until now, DP was not rendering audio from midi tracks accurately, which is mind blogging to me, but it does explain an argument I was having with someone about midi track accuracy.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum