• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Anyone running Xp64 ?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone running Xp64 ?

I am upgrading. I have a AMD 64 x 2 Dual Core. I am planning on buying XP64 bit so I can make use of the 8 Gig Rams on my motherboard.

- My NVideo Video card has XP64bit drivers
    - My EMU1212 is xp64 bit compatible with drivers
    - My eSata 4 port PCI card is xp64 bit compatible
    - Sonar 7 Studio is 64 Bit
    - Two of my sample libraries are 64 Bit compatible
    - Kontakt 3 (my sampler) is not

Is there anyone running XP64 using Sonar or Kontakt 3 ? Does it really make a difference getting XP64 and utilizing all 8 Gigs of RAM ? The only thing that will not utilize more RAM is Kontakt 3 (at least for now).

Is there any other things that I am forgetting to look at that might not work with my 64Bit XP platform ?

Basically, is there anyone here that has XP64 bit installed that has there DAW run without any problems ?
    "‘The heights by men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight,
    but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night
    .’ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow."

Re: Anyone running Xp64 ?

Hi,

I am running on Vista x64 with 4Mb. I run Sonar 7.0.2 x64. I also run Kontakt 3 and Finale 2008. Everythings seems ok apart few problems like popup menu that appear under other windows.
    Very important to be sure to have 64bits drivers for your hardware (don't forget your midi controller).

Francois
    Francois Harel, Montreal, Canada
    QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, many SATA2 drives. XP Pro and Vista x64.
    Finale 2010b, Sonar PE 8.5.2
    KP2 and Kontakt 4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB, EWQLSO Plat+, EWQLSC
    Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

Thanks. I am connecting via USB to my keyboard controller (Yamaha PSR3000). I don't make use of a midi controller. Do I still need a driver ?

Sorry. I do need a 64 bit driver. I can download that from Yamaha's website. I posted before I even thought about it !! :-)

Where can I still buy a copy of Windows XP64 Bit with SP2c ?

Quote Originally Posted by Empneo View Post
    Basically, is there anyone here that has XP64 bit installed that has there DAW run without any problems ?
    Yes there is. Me! Everything runs smoothly. Sonar5 (32 bits), GPO with KP2, STRAD, JABB... Adobe Audition. The only problem I had (for music I mean) was the audiocard driver, which is Audiophile 2496. But luckily they had a 64 bit version (beta). No problems at all.

Raymond

"Does it really make a difference...?"

Well, it depends on what you want to do. GPO was designed to work on a much more modest system. But if you're planning on running a bunch of sample libraries (plus effects) in real time, you can't have enough ram.

Francois is correct that you should make sure that everything you want to run will in fact run on XP64.

I have a brand new XP64 system with 8gb of ram, but I'm still getting it set up and can't tell you much yet.

re; finding XP64 - Google it or try some place like www.newegg.com

Good luck, k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Where can I still buy a copy of Windows XP64 Bit with SP2c ?
    Emneo, check your messages. I have a couple of copies.

I am upgrading. I have a AMD 64 x 2 Dual Core. I am planning on buying XP64 bit so I can make use of the 8 Gig Rams on my motherboard.

- My NVideo Video card has XP64bit drivers
    - My EMU1212 is xp64 bit compatible with drivers
    I'm doing this upgrade to 64 bit myself and it so screwy. The first thing, and I mean the VERY first thing I checked was to see if my m-audio Delta 66 card had 64 bit drivers. The m-audio showed 64 bit drivers for it so I high-fived my mouse and purchased $900 in parts with a cool inexpensive 8 gigs of RAM (compared to what it used to be). So I put it all together, I registered my programs and then tried to produce a sound and though kontakt showed notes playing (in stand alone mode), the Delta 66 control panel showed no signal activity. I checked everything including the brake fluid and everything looked like it should be working.

So I called m-audio tech support and the guy asks me how much RAM did I have. 8 gigs I tell him smuggly. "That's your problem." Having 8 gigs could ever be a problem? How's come? He told me the m-audio 64 bit driver will only work when you have at the most, 2 gigs of RAM. I didn't know what to say. I checked and double-checked, there is nothing about this in the driver files or the website. So I asked, "doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of going to a 64 bit machine with an OS capable of seeing 128g of RAM?"

I was stunned. In fact, I emailed m-audio tech support asking the same question and they said the same. So I looked for an alternative card and found the E-mu 1212. But seeing what happened with the m-audio card I figured to ask the same question. Their response is below:

"I suggest you make sure to get the 1212 M from a place with a good return policy and try it if it does not work for you return it. I can tell you the card was tested in 64 bit windows beyond that all I can say is that every music PC is a little different so there is no guarantee... "

So reassuring! I ordered the Emu card and it comes Tuesday. But I have no idea what to expect. But I have a question, how clean is the Emu 1212? Is it a good card?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rgarber View Post
    So reassuring! I ordered the Emu card and it comes Tuesday. But I have no idea woth to expect. But I have a question, how clean is the Emu 1212? Is it a good card?

Rich
    EMU makes good gear. Superior to M-Audio, in my opinion.

I'm using the EMU 1212M card with 4 GB of RAM in Windows XP x64. Latency could be a little lower. From what I've read the latency in XP x64 is usually double of the 32 bit OS.

Jim

Go Back to forum