• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Harddrive?

Share/Bookmark

Best Harddrive?

Hey guys and girls

Can anyone recommend a top quality Harddrive for me, will be for streaming A LOT of samples from at once. It needs to be firewire800 as thats the only port I have left, and at least 500Gb. Preferably around the £100-£130 mark.
    Would it be cheaper but of equal efficiency to get one of those external internal drive bays?

Thanks in advance!
    Ben

Re: Best Harddrive?

Build one yourself, and throw a seagate in it. Newegg is a good place to find enclosures and hard drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Build one yourself, and throw a seagate in it. Newegg is a good place to find enclosures and hard drives.
    I agree. This is a much better strategy than buying a pre packaged "help me backup" drive.

Cheers guys. Is seagate the best then? any particular drives? And any particular shells?

I wont be using this as a back-up device, but for streaming samples all day long. Will a self-built harddrive be able to cope with long days every day?!

Thanks again

It should be able to. What were you talking about up there, with internal/external bays?

If you've got a spare PCI slot, go with an eSata drive and a PCI card to support the enclosures. Faster than FW800 and the PCI card will enable you to have several eSata drives.

I would recommend Western Digital or Hitachi/IBM. I totally disagree about Seagate, stay away from them and Maxtor.

This is the funny thing about drives.

WD's: have had two die on me.
    Hitachi: never tried
    Seagate: own three, and none have gone yet.

I think your experience winds up being dependent on the skill of the QA worker for the particular lot your disk comes from.

Cool Re: Best Harddrive?

Seagate its the one plus good warranty

wow, lots of different opinions. thanks guys. I'll probably pick either a seagate or lacie (as no one seems to have had bad experiences with). Building my own external drive would be too expensive for the specs i want, and transfer rate is slowed down by the enclosure (only 150mb/s as far as ive seen).

Thanks again all!

Ben

The only failures I've ever had (2) have been WD.
    I like Seagate for the 5 yr. warranty, but have never had to use it.
    Samung Spinpoints are nice also.

Go Back to forum