• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbee Installation Questions...

Share/Bookmark

Newbee Installation Questions...

Greetings everyone,
    New Garritan user here. I thought I should probably run a few questions by you guys/gals before executing my install.

(1) In the Choose Components option window, any reason NOT to choose them all? I understand from the manual that I should definitely choose at least "Standalone" and "GPO Library". Will choosing all the options present any conflicts/issues?

(2) Will I have the option to manually select which drives in my system to use when installing (a) program and (b) sample library? Any recommendations on the best way to set things up?

Here is a brief description of my current PC: Dual Core Pentium running XP Pro.

System drive (C) is a 70 GB WD Raptor that current has 43.5 GB free space. I try to keep that drive limited to OS and programs.

Data drive (D) is an internal 500 GB SATA Drive that currently has 433 GB free space.

I also have an external 200 GB Maxtor Drive that currently has 116 GB free space.

My current keyboard controller is a Kurzweil PC88 Performance Controller. Midi interface is a MOTU micro lite. I am using an Edirol FA-66 Firewire Audio Interface.

My software is Sonar 7 Studio Edition.

Thanks for any input regarding optimal installation. I am very excited to begin exploring and learning GSO.

-- Rob

Re: Newbee Installation Questions...

Jon,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and speedy reply! Definitely sounds like I want to install KP2 on my C drive (where I keep OS and programs) and the sample library on my internal D "data" drive. I originally custom built my current computer for heavy Photoshop use, but it is working out well for my home studio as well.

With my current computer, is there any compelling reason to add an additional internal drive (beyond my D drive) that will have nothing but sample libraries on it? Or should the D drive be enough?

Any other recommendations regarding installation? I saw some of the stickies at the top of this forum. Will there be anything missing when I install that I will need to manually fix?

Take care,

-- Rob

Greetings everyone. Hope you are all having a good weekend.

Man, am I having fun with my initial exploration of the GSO sounds. I almost didn't go to bed last night.

During the initial install, I was asked where I wanted to install the KP2 and I allowed the default location (C drive). Unless I missed something, the install program did not ask me where I wanted my sound library installed.

By default sound libarary was installed here: C:\Program Files\Garritan\GPO KP2 Library\Instruments

What is the correct procedure for moving the instrument library to another drive without screwing up the entire planet?

Thanks in advance,

-- Rob

Hi Rob,

The correct procedure is this:
    1. Move the GPO KP2 library folder in its entirety to the location you want.
    2. Start Kontakt Player 2 and click on the info tab beside GPO.
    3. Under library path, specify the new location.
    4. Restart KP2!

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Reegs,
    Thanks very much for the reply. Greatly appreciated.

-- Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi Rob,

The correct procedure is this:
    1. Move the GPO KP2 library folder in its entirety to the location you want.
    2. Start Kontakt Player 2 and click on the info tab beside GPO.
    3. Under library path, specify the new location.
    4. Restart KP2!

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum