• Register
  • Help

Topic: New system

Ellendale, ND

New system

Okay - straight forward question.

I am getting ready to put together a completely new computer that will be dedicated to video and music production.

I would prefer to keep XP Pro, but it is getting difficult to find a new computer without BISTA.

I am also considerinfg a laptop for flexibility.

Need input;

Is a laptop practical in terms of memory, heat and other restrictions?

I plan to stay with a PC, and would like to know what to look for in terms of OS, memory, etc., that would help Kontak 2 and GPO and (probably) Finale 2008 working quickly and well.

Re: New system

A notebook PC can get hot enough to cause burns to the lap if you hold them on your lap, thus why they should not be called laptops. However, notebook PCs are improving and are a great alternative for portable work. I got myself a MacBook Pro and have been (ab)using the thing quite often. Whereas years ago, the laptop would have just failed quickly, they are now able to stand up to almost any task I toss at them. Just watch for the heat problem.

Also, I found a number of laptops that you can order with Windows XP Professional on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...CH&srchInDesc=

Building a computer, however, is a little bit more of a daunting task. I'd recommend getting a processor with multiple cores (such as an Intel Core 2 Duo). The higher the number of cores, the easier it is for your computer to handle multiple tasks being run simultaneously. Also, a large amount of RAM is a must. Even on my Mac Pro, I have 3 GB of RAM because of my music and video software. The video card does not have to be top of the line if you are working with just music, but for audio, I'd recommend an external audio interface rather than an internal sound card.

I hope this helps!
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro View Post
    ......, but for audio, I'd recommend an external audio interface rather than an internal sound card.

I've experienced less problems with external audio interfaces and, to me at least, it seems to sound better than the internal sound cards. Plus, its easier to connect other audio devices when using an external interface.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

South of the Ohio River

I just ordered a new Shuttle computer over the weekend. You can still configure a complete system from them WITH XP Pro, which was my choice as well. Go here, choose one of the G2 or G5 sustems, select buy now and it will take you to a screen where you can configure it as you pretty much desire. You are not comitting to purchase until you go to checkout. If you don't want to purchase it, just exit with no comittment.

This will be my 2nd Shuttle. I've not had a problem ever with my first one, which is my DAW. This new one will be my "everyday" computer. They're a little pricier than an off the shelf but you are paying for the ability to configure it yourself and their quality. Their liquid cooled power supplies are the quietest ever. Small footprint. What else? No, I don't work for them and I don't get a rebate for recommending them to others.

Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

I got me a laptop recently, HP KE184EA (2G ram upgradable to 4, Intel dual 2.5G) and so far it's working like magic. I could even reinstall and authorize GPO and Pro53 on it (seems they allow two installations) and Steinberg stuff works on my old machine and the laptop with the switch of the dongle with no problems.

One of its plus points was that it came with Vista installed - with additional CD's for Xp downgrade. They contained all the HP drivers that are such a pain to download otherwise.

Now waiting for Edirol UA-25 USB audio interface.

Go Back to forum