• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Topic: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Bach's "Passacaglia in C-Minor" and accompaning fugue is one of his most profound works for organ. Not only it is a very technical work to perform, but given it length it is also an endurance contest for the performer. The theme of the passacaglia, by rule, must be repeated continuously throughout the work. It has been said that the theme in this work including the fugue is repeated exactly 81 times; 3 X 3 X 3 X 3!

    In this transcription it is set for SATB saxophone quartet. It was scored using Finale 2006 and rendered with the CMB library.

    www.garybricault.com/mp3/BachBwv582PassacagliaSaxQuartet.mp3

    This transcription is dedicated to Richard Parnell, Baritone Saxophonist of the Washington Saxophone Quartet.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  2. #2

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Gary

    I have taken about 10 hours of Compostion training in my life, all from the same guy. His teacher claims that his teacher's teacher's teacher's ........teacher was J.S. Bach. So, I can claim the same, assuming that it is true. Doesn't mean anything, but it is interesting.

    20 kids and still able to find the time to compose for the organ. Just a fascinating man.

    Your arrangements are always fun to listen to and this one was as well.

    Well done

    Ron

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Gary

    I have taken about 10 hours of Compostion training in my life, all from the same guy. His teacher claims that his teacher's teacher's teacher's ........teacher was J.S. Bach. So, I can claim the same, assuming that it is true. Doesn't mean anything, but it is interesting.

    20 kids and still able to find the time to compose for the organ. Just a fascinating man.

    Your arrangements are always fun to listen to and this one was as well.

    Well done

    Ron
    Ron,
    Very interesting story and who know! Yeah with 20 kids hard to find time to write the massive works that Bach composed.

    Glad that you liked the arrangement. It was a labor of love as always.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  4. #4

    Cool Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric View Post
    Bach's "Passacaglia in C-Minor" and accompaning fugue is one of his most profound works for organ. Not only it is a very technical work to perform, but given it length it is also an endurance contest for the performer. The theme of the passacaglia, by rule, must be repeated continuously throughout the work. It has been said that the theme in this work including the fugue is repeated exactly 81 times; 3 X 3 X 3 X 3!

    In this transcription it is set for SATB saxophone quartet. It was scored using Finale 2006 and rendered with the CMB library.

    www.garybricault.com/mp3/BachBwv582PassacagliaSaxQuartet.mp3

    This transcription is dedicated to Richard Parnell, Baritone Saxophonist of the Washington Saxophone Quartet.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com
    It was a delight to listen to your transcription, Gary,

    This old music form is fascinating, with the bass pattern serving as a harmonic anchor, while the upper lines are varied freely.

    Much enjoyed,

    Fred

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
    It was a delight to listen to your transcription, Gary,

    This old music form is fascinating, with the bass pattern serving as a harmonic anchor, while the upper lines are varied freely.

    Much enjoyed,

    Fred
    Fred,

    I am glad that you enjoyed the Passacaglia. It is a very interesting form and of course required to strictly follow the rules of that form. And the saxophone provides it own lovely harmonics to the work.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  6. #6

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric View Post
    ...the fugue is repeated exactly 81 times; 3 X 3 X 3 X 3!
    Numerological elements are prominent through much of Bach's
    writing; this no exception. He had a particular fascination with
    3's, presumably to do with the Holy Trinity... the tri-partite
    nature of God in most Christian faiths.

    Once again, a very well done adaptation that works wonderfully
    with the saxes, Gary. This is quite a body of sax literature that
    you're developing!

    My best,




    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor for Sax Quartet using CMB

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Numerological elements are prominent through much of Bach's
    writing; this no exception. He had a particular fascination with
    3's, presumably to do with the Holy Trinity... the tri-partite
    nature of God in most Christian faiths.
    And to a lesser extent with 7 and 5. In the case of St. Anne's Fugue the theme appears unaltered 27 times (3 X 3 X 3).

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Once again, a very well done adaptation that works wonderfully
    with the saxes, Gary. This is quite a body of sax literature that
    you're developing!

    My best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I agree and I am glad that you have enjoyed it. The material is fairly easy to lay down for the ensemble except for trying to give them places to break. I can't wait to hear it performed live.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •