• Register
  • Help

Topic: new to JABB AND controllers

Share/Bookmark

new to JABB AND controllers

I've been doing midi for years but never even heard or understood all these complicated controller/messages. I just bought JABB and a new keyboard controller with aftertouch so I could get the vibrato thing going.

I'm using Sonar Home Studio 6XL. The ONLY way I can get vibrato is if I manually draw a value in the aftertouch screen. I can see that the aftertouch message is being sent by viewing the little keyboard icon at the bottom of my screen, but I don't see it being recorded in Cakewalk or making any difference in vibrato.

Also, I don't really hear much difference in the samples whether I play soft or hard. Aren't there any velocity layers to these samples (other than drums)?

Re: new to JABB AND controllers

Hi Alan,

Cakewalk stuff does not record aftertouch by default. You'll need to enable it by going to Options>Global>MIDI and checking the Channel Aftertouch box.

Dynamic variety is controlled by the modwheel, while how hard you hit the key determines the attack quality (sharper attack with a harder hit). Try moving the modwheel and you'll hear the change.

Best,
    Reegs

Hi Alan,
    All of Garys sample programmes use a system that is slightly different from the usual MIDI. As Reegs stated Volume is CC1, Vibrato is Aftertouch, Velocity is the attack or aggressiveness of the sound. There are more variables than you get with plain midi. I'm afraid you'll need to plough through the manual, but its only 80 odd pages and theres a colour chart to print out with all the details on.

If you use the notation samples the original Midi system applies though, ( this is for Sibelius etc)
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Thanks Reegs,

you just made my day- Vibrato!!! To be honest, I still don't hear much actual difference in the sample whether I use the mod wheel or hit the key softer/harder. It just sounds like the volume is going up or down. I of course might not have the best ears when it comes to brass/wind instruments since I never really played one and might not know the subtle differences in attack.

I thought I read something about certain samples not being available if you didn't use an ASIO driver so I went into Audio/Advanced and selected the use ASIO driver option. It still sounds about the same. Anyways, thanks for the help.

As far as the controllers go-
    I think I get it now.. obviously the controls I have immediately at hand are the keyboard (with aftertouch for vibrato), the mod wheel, the pitch bend wheel, and the sustain pedal...
    Then when I want to add other stuff (air noise, flutter, etc) to the recording I just move the virtual knobs on the Kontakt JABB interface while recording.

Now to get the Portamento working... It says it's only active with the sustain pedal down... not hearing anything... Sometimes it doubles every note like a pitch shifter (weird), but no actual gradual changing in pitch no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPS View Post
    Thanks Reegs,

you just made my day- Vibrato!!! To be honest, I still don't hear much actual difference in the sample whether I use the mod wheel or hit the key softer/harder. It just sounds like the volume is going up or down. I of course might not have the best ears when it comes to brass/wind instruments since I never really played one and might not know the subtle differences in attack.

I thought I read something about certain samples not being available if you didn't use an ASIO driver so I went into Audio/Advanced and selected the use ASIO driver option. It still sounds about the same. Anyways, thanks for the help.

As far as the controllers go-
    I think I get it now.. obviously the controls I have immediately at hand are the keyboard (with aftertouch for vibrato), the mod wheel, the pitch bend wheel, and the sustain pedal...
    Then when I want to add other stuff (air noise, flutter, etc) to the recording I just move the virtual knobs on the Kontakt JABB interface while recording.

Now to get the Portamento working... It says it's only active with the sustain pedal down... not hearing anything... Sometimes it doubles every note like a pitch shifter (weird), but no actual gradual changing in pitch no matter what I do.
    Alan,

You might want to give the Phrase Modelled performance Multi a try. If you disable the script when recording concentrating on the notes & velocity then enable when playing back the script will generate vibrato, legato, portamento, air & key noise etc to the existing Midi.

Go Back to forum