• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Gregory Is Here"

Share/Bookmark

Re: "Gregory Is Here"

Something like Killroy was here.... and not anymore.

Have a nice weekend

Raymond

http://www.box.net/shared/krrpewycc0
    "Gregory Is Here"
    "One more time."
    This is my first attempt, and 2nd try, to post something that I have run through Cubase.
    It's still not good but I don't know how to get that static out.
    With many more trials and errors on my part, and helpful suggestions from the forum, I see this as the beginning of a long lasting love/hate relationship.
    sos

Not sure what you mean by "not getting the static out" . I liked the orchestration of this piece. When you mean by "static" that is all too exactly on the beat, I am sure you can alter the parts by shifting the tracks a bit or use that Multi-script Mike's One, - I am sorry but this script still is a mystery how to handle it - and when you are talking about the melodyline, yes it is a bit dull. Leave it for a couple of days and I am sure you can make the soloist sing - by trying out some (is it called?) riffs.

Raymond

Would the "static" of "fuzzy" sound be your audio "clipping"?
    As in, your "line-out" feed is at a too high of volume and is slightly distorting?

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Delightful!

I don't hear the "static" to which you refer.

Some variations by your "drummer" would be nice.

You da man, Mr. Steve...you da man!

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Steve

Let me be the first to say that I like Gregory is Here much better than Post withdrawn. I have found that I always enjoy your music, but Post withdrawn was a bit drab. Not much in the way of thematic material and the variations in it were boring. I am happy that you decided to post Gregory is here. This one is not drab and all of the variations are interesting. Hopefully that brought at least a small smile to your face, if not, then I will just go back to my studies.

I am not sure what static you are referring to either. Michael is right if the volume is too high, you will get some funny things to happen, but I don't hear them.

Try lowering the volume on the high hat and see if that works.

Regardless, this is still a great job. I also have a love/hate relationship with any and all programs on my computer which translates into a love hate for the computer itself.

Well done

Ron

Raymond, Michael, Larry and Ron:
    Thanks to all for listening and your astute comments.

Raymond:By "static" I meant overload crackle.
    melodyline, yes it is a bit dull.
    Are you referring to the Vibes solo and/or the lead trumpet part in the big ensemble passage near the end?
    What is "multi script Mike's One?"

Michael:Where is this "line out" you mentioned? Remember that I am a "Newbie" with all of this "gol-darned new fangled" stuff.

Larry:You are absolutely correct about my "ho-hum" drum part. Writing drum parts (for me, anyway) is tedious and frustrating so I just settled for a 'metronome' to spend more time on the horn parts.

Ron:I already have a good title and I've thought about your suggestions and decided to write a better beginning, middle and end to "Post Withdrawn."
    Try lowering the volume on the high hat and see if that works.
    Are you referring to the drum part or everything?

So much to learn and so little time,
    Steve

Steve

Remember that I use Sonar, so things are probably diferent in Cubase.

When I listen to one of my pieces in parts, that is ready for the final mix, it may sound right. But as soon as I do the final mix, if one instrument is a little too high in volume, it can throw off everything else in the mix. I then can get some distortion or any of a number of bad things that can happen. It just seemed to me that the high hat was a touch loud and that might be causing what you hear. If you are using a drum set that includes the high hat, then you would end up having to lower them all. If the high hat is by itself, ie: has its own track, then you could try just lowering its volume and see if that works.

In my experience in Sonar, it is usually just one instrument that is causing the problem in the mix. By adjusting that one instrument, the problem goes away. This can also be fixed sometimes by using an envelope or by using EQ.

I am also a newbie with Sonar (6 months of usage), so I am trying to be the blind man leading the sightless.

If this doesn't help, then I am sorry that I am not an expert yet. If it does help, then I am still sorry that I am not an expert yet, but am glad it helped.

Ron

Ron:
    As the little old lady said as she was urinating in the ocean "every little bit helps!"
    I was using 4 different cymbals at the same time to get a fuller texture. This then is a case of overkill. I am working on your suggestion at this very moment.
    Thanks,

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast