• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Meditation

Hi everyone,
    I have been working on a big project, and took a break today to write a song. I have only written one before called Transitions in Life.

This is a song I started about five hours ago, and while it still needs a vocal and some other instruments, I wanted to share it in it's raw form.

I am calling this one Meditation because the beginning chords remind me of
    when I am at church and the pastor asks everyone to be quiet and just pray.

The chords should take you into a place of reverence.

This is the Garritan Steinway using the "player" microphone perspective.

Re: Meditation

I think you have captured the essence of what you were looking for in this piece. Personally I don't see the need for vocals, but I am not a big fan of them anyway. Other instruments might even distract from the overall effect, although I could see a solo string being added, or maybe a solo violin and a solo cello.

Of course the Steinway sounds terrific.

Well done

Hi Dan,

This is beautiful and touching as it is.
    I can also hear where you can and probably will take this.
    I hear some wonderful solo entering at some point and maybe later quiet strings, with the delightful piano chords staying at the core of this all through!
    I shall look forward to hearing it finished by your skillful fingers and ears!

What is that "extra" noise I hear when you press notes?

You say so much with so little; an impressive gift.

Very emotionally impactful music like this is usually the "result" of an expressive and open soul.

Great work Dan!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Very pretty Dan. A lot of peaceful emotion going on
    here and making every note count. That's what Copland
    learned to do when he studied with Boulanger. She always told
    him, "Use only the number of notes you need to say what
    you want to say and get rid of the rest."

You did that here.

Very beautiful.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Bellingham, WA

Thumbs up Re: Meditation

I agree with Ron that a vocal is not really needed and in fact, might detract from a very beautiful setting. You say you wrote this in five HOURS!?! A work like this would take me five MONTHS and still wouldn't even be close to what you have captured.

Hi all

Rolifer, I agree, it could be left "AS IS" meaning no refund
    I may revisit it and add something, just not sure what.
    Thank you for listening.

Yudit, I sure do appreciate your nice words. You have been a positive
    member at Northern Sounds. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Raymond, because I used incredibly low velocities through most of the song, it is expected that there will be some noise that is made by the piano. I believe what you are hearing is caused by me setting the sympathetic and or sustain resonance too high relative to my extremely low velocities. Ultimately, I should have used the soft pedal.
    I made a new recording with higher velocites, and even though I thought this was the problem, I just listened again to the new MP3 and the noise is still there, but not in my AIF file. hmmmm?
    Thanks Raymond.

Michael, your words made my day! Thank you!

Jack, I can always count on you for encouragment, I am always amazed at your knowledge of music. Thank you friend!

Steve, I really should have spent more time on it, but I need to teach myself that there is nothing wrong with posting something that is not perfect to me.
    What the heck, right?

Thanks to all of you who have listened and have chosen not to respond,I am very guilty of that

That's very nice, Mr. Dan. Who needs vocals?

I agree with others that this could be an intro for a solo instrument such as cello, but it stands quite well on its own.

Thanks for posting.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

why thank you Larry G
    I sure hope you are feeling great these days!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast