• Register
  • Help

Topic: Appassionata strings advice

Share/Bookmark

Appassionata strings advice

Hi - I'm very interested in these strings, given some of the great demos Ive heard here.

A couple (a few really) of questions:

Are there are four appassionata libraries in all? I and II with extended libraries for each? Where to start? Pt I and then the ext. later?

Do they all come with the Vienna Player?

Is this Vienna Player running at 64 bits yet or in the near future?

Can these be run in Kontakt and is it advisable to do so?

I appreciate any tips or general advice on these libraries.

Re: Appassionata strings advice

Hi!

Actually, there are only two versions of Appassionata. Regular (App. 1) and mutes (App. 2).

The extended libs gives you more articulations BUT they are an add-on. You wouldn't have any use for them if you bought them first. (As a matter of fact, VSL won't allow you to buy them first, not online anyway.)

But I can sure understand your confusion.

Yes, all comes with the Vienna Player.

No, you can't run them in Kontakt, only through VSLs own player.

Hope this helps a bit.

Note: I don't own them myself, yet...
    We are the musikmakers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

i was also wondering if the apassionata have a univeral mode. I understand only the "big" instruments have enough articulations for this, but don't know if this one counts.

anyone have any clues?

Just to answer the remaining questions:

1) Extended is only be sold as an add-on to Standard. No Standard, no Extended.
    2) Vienna Ensemble has been 64bit for over a year now.
    3) I've never used Universal Mode in well over two years. It is so easy to make your own matrices and Presets that Universal mode would actually be a workflow killer for me.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    3) I've never used Universal Mode in well over two years. It is so easy to make your own matrices and Presets that Universal mode would actually be a workflow killer for me.

D
    Hmmm. Interesting. To me, the appeal of Universal Mode is the ability to hit most of the common articulations without having to use keyswitches. Are you saying that you just make your own custom "universal modes" that suit you better, or is using keyswitches not something that you care to avoid?

I use keyswitches for virtually everything.

1) They are much more accurate when chasing.
    2) I can hit them without looking
    3) Mine are the same for all instruments, so it saves remembering where they are. I even have them on a separate keyboard with stickers just in case I go senile....!

Automatic functions are great, but you have to be able to override them, and that's what all my matrices are designed to make easy.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I use keyswitches for virtually everything.

1) They are much more accurate when chasing.
    2) I can hit them without looking
    3) Mine are the same for all instruments, so it saves remembering where they are. I even have them on a separate keyboard with stickers just in case I go senile....!

Automatic functions are great, but you have to be able to override them, and that's what all my matrices are designed to make easy.

D
    I was thinking about setting up a second keyboard for keyswitches is that difficult to do? Probably not i suppose, but i don't feel like buying one just to try... Do you have a minute to explain?

I was think about getting a small 2 octave keyboard for this..

Thanks for the replies!

From the context - does Universal mode mean it will play in any sampler? Or something else?

geronimo001 - just add the second keyboard as a midi input to your midi track in your sequencer - select the octave switch down ( or,up) and voila! -you have keyswitches in addition to your main keyboard.

> does Universal mode mean it will play in any sampler? Or something else?

Doppler,

The VI libraries don't require a sampler, they use VSL's own sample playback software, the VI Instrument (or 'VI Player', if you like) and can't be used in anything else.

_

Go Back to forum