• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Romance for violin and orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Romance for violin and orchestra

Hi folks,

EDITED message (2008-june-23)

I am "doing" the STRAD on my own. Last year I presented this piece with the help of Randy Bowser, our "Dorian" guy. Now I did it all over again as a prelude to some other violin pieces I'd planned to write. The STRAD was the hardest to do. After more than 45 takes in Sonar, the majority involved getting the STRAD really sing, I think I've finished the piece.

The piece is dedicated to my wife as a present for our 40-th wedding anniversary last year. Now, that she is on holiday in Spain with her girl friend, I've found the time to do it. For the purpose of comparison, here are the two files. Take-2 was the original, with the help of Randy, and take-3 is mine.

Romance for violin and orchestra - new recording
    (Score also present - made with Mozart Notation program)

There is only one note I am not quite happy about, you will hear it for sure, but I can't get it better. Somehow Sonar made it a bit obscure (as if the player holds the bow a bit tilted), or is it the way the player (or of course, the script) is handling it.

For the performance, I checked my collection of violin concertos on CD, from Bach, via Mozart, Brahms, Paganini to Tschaikovsky. All played by different soloists and they all apply different bowing, using vibrato, doing portato, spiccato, etc. I made a mix of those, as far as one can mix the ideas of performances by professional violonists.

I''ll hope you agree with me, that the 2nd version (take3) is better in general, enjoy the music,

Raymond
    [BTW as far as I can remember take-2 had only the Ambience as reverb, now I did the various instruments with Lexicon/ Ambiences/ 1960-front]

PS. While you all were asleep, I moderated the vibrato of the solo STRAD, added some volume too, increased the presence of the celli and contrabasses and some other minor changes. It is recorded under ...-take4.

Re: Romance for violin and orchestra

Raymond

I agree that the 2nd is much better, but then being a Sonar user myself, I think that Sonar is a much better platform then ambience.

I didn't even notice that Lexicon was an option in Sonar. I usually use Sonitus fx.

I think that you have done a fine job of getting the Strad to sing.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Raymond

I agree that the 2nd is much better, but then being a Sonar user myself, I think that Sonar is a much better platform then ambience.

I didn't even notice that Lexicon was an option in Sonar. I usually use Sonitus fx.

I think that you have done a fine job of getting the Strad to sing.

Ron
    PerfectSpaces with Lexicon impuls file...

Thank you for the kind words,

Raymond

Raymond:
    A beautiful piece of music and well worth the time and 'takes' it took to complete it. I am certain that this will guarantee that you have 40 MORE years of a happy marriage.
    I listened to #3 first and was put off by the extreme vibrato in the solo violin but found #2 is to be much more to my liking. Well done!

Steve

Raymond,

I am listening to take #4 and I like it very much. Both the solo and the following full orchestra work well together. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thank you all, friends. Now, up to the next project...... cleaning the house, dusting the furniture, washing the windowpanes, making sandwiches, etc..... yes, today is my household day, because the wife is coming back from Spain...

Raymond

Raymond - firstly - full mark for dedicating this to your wife of 40 years. (I have some marriage medals around here somewhere to give to you) In this day and age an accomplishment in itself!

The main thing I want to say that I really enjoyed listening to your pieces (mainly 2 and 3) It sounds like you are well on your way to creating the music that you want to make and wrestling the Strad to the ground. The Strad and Gofriller is a work in progress for us all. So keep up the good work and we hope to hear much more from you!

Please note that my other comment (in reply to your comment on my latest piece) was for another of your submissions and not this one. The other one had something to do with the Romanian Orchestra(?)

Thanks for posting! - Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Raymond,

First of all very nice piece. I enjoyed it very much. You seem to have a good workflow and you also seem to be reaching a consistent level on how you render your pieces. I admire your tenacity to get the details of phrasing and dynamics in your recordings. It really adds so much to the presentation of your pieces.

Steve Winkler

Very much liked the music. As always I have remarks to make on the rendering which are in the realm of private taste rather than objective evaluation. (But being 44 years married, naturally seniority is on my side). The strad is a brute to get the nuances you want from it. Particularly with portamento. There are moments in the piece where this is absent when naturally it should be present, making for a slight unrealism. Taking the overall effect, there is a sameyness about the dynamic throughout. A conductor, I think, would coax a little more swell and diminuendo from the players at appropriate moments. An expressive composition like yours would benefit from such touches. The ambience, for me, could be a tad richer, especially for the solo violin. Perhaps you can let us know whether you applied the strad to a written score or played it in from a keyboard. Demos of the latter approach that I have seen suggest you have to be quite extreme in moving the mod wheel up and down to get expression. When writing dynamics with a mouse in an editor (as I do) the tendency is to be too restrained. Nit picking? Maybe. But it is often the final, delicate touches of projection that distinguish a good piece of music that you will listen to over and over, from one that you won't. It was for expression that we bought the strad in the first place. But, I sure wish it was less a beast you have to fight. The Gofriller is quite another story.

To all,

I will have a look into this a second time, especially on the dynamics and reverb. Particularly I am not so very fond of those "movie-like" reverbs and wanted this small orchestra to be in a small environment. But, as I said, a second look cannot harm it.

I never play in instruments with the keyboard. I tried to do that with the strad, but I failed to do so and went back to just adding or subtracting using the mouse in Sonar. It was written originally with Mozart Notation program, which has no VST playback at all. In Sonar I actually re-did all the notes, slurs, accents, velocities, pedals (on/off), etc. by hand. Note by note.[The score presented is output from Mozart].

I am using Overture now, but this one was from "before Overture". Maybe an old-fashioned approach, but I like composing with pen and paper (screen and input device). Then I submit it all to Sonar.

Thank you guys,

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast