• Register
  • Help

Topic: Skipping Tune by Chuck Israels - Animated Score of a Big Band Arrangement

Share/Bookmark

Skipping Tune by Chuck Israels - Animated Score of a Big Band Arrangement

Here is a full score of a complete big band composition. Sean has taken the mp3 audio of the Skipping Tune by Chuck Israels, and synced it to the score so that the music follows the score. Here is the animated score:

Click on Play Button below to Play from the Score

This example is the culmination of the Jazz and Big Band Arranging course. If you find these types of animated scores useful, there are many more in the "Exploring Jazz arranging" course.

The Interactive Edition of "EXPLORING JAZZ ARRANGING using Garritan Jazz and Big Band" is a FREE online course based upon Chuck Israels' new book and is hosted on this forum.

Chuck Israels is a true jazz master and there simply is no better source from whom to learn about jazz arranging. Composer/arranger/bassist Chuck Israels is a recognized master musician in the world of jazz. He has played with Billie Holiday, Benny Goodman, Coleman Hawkins, Stan Getz, Herbie Hancock, J.J. Johnson, John Coltrane, and dozens of others. He is well known for being the bassist with the Bill Evans Trio. You can access the course here --> http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...play.php?f=107

In this course, many interactive score excerpts are provided which allow the learner to simultaneously listen and visually follow. This course encompasses a wealth of solid grounding and practical knowledge, clearly written and explained, all generously augmented with musical examples of melody, rhythm, harmony, form, writing for 2 voices, 3 voices, 4 or more voices, writing for full band, and much, much more. During the weeks ahead more lessons will be posted - some 20 in all.

It is our pleasure to emphasize that the course is free. There is no charge, nothing to buy, no direct or hidden fees, no obligation, no course registration required, no strings attached. We welcome your participation and just come and learn!

Thanks to Chuck Israels for writing and providing such an extraordinary tune and authoring the course. . Many thanks to Roberto Soggetti who made all of the mp3 audio example. Roberto used a special version of the Jazz and Big Band library that he modified for his wind controller. Thanks to Sean Hannifin for doing all of the Flash work so that the music follows the score.

Gary Garritan
    http://www.garritan.com

Re: Skipping Tune by Chuck Israels - Animated Score of a Big Band Arrangement

Gary,

What a nice Sunday surprise, My hats off to Sean Hannifin for the slick presentation, Roberto Soggetti for his always outstanding rendering and of course Professor Chuck Isreal for a great chart and a magnificint Arranging course. I think it's time to visit the order page

What a wonderful piece!

Gary:

A really fine Jazz piece and my hat is off to Sean for the "Flash" treatment.

HOWEVER,

The music, as presented, is kind of a skeleton of what is going on. If the student could see ALL the drum hits, ALL of the solo parts, ALL of the bass lines, and ALL that he HEARS, he could learn much more. What he does see is very instructive, but it ain't all that he could really get out a piece as useful as this would be if it were ALL INCLUSIVE.

Just my thoughts.........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Whatever, the score has some "dark" areas, where only chords are notated. But I liked the music. A pity, the whole lot is a bit too small (in font size).

Raymond

It'd be great if the score was somehow downloadable; even without the scrolling capability.

Sean this is really good, only one slight problem. I'm not as young as I was and like Raymond found some of text hard to read. I didn't expect solos written out though or drum parts, thats not how its works is it?
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Since this chart appears to be the culmination of an arranging course, of course there aren't any drum parts or solos written out. Those are improvised by the players and will be different in every performance. The emphasis is on the ensemble writing - the lines, the voicings, the harmonies, etc. - so that's what's on the score.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

To Roberto Soggetti

I use a wind controller with my JABB and I would like it very much if you would reveal just what you have done to modify your version of the program. I will understand if the answer is no, a sound is very personal, but I am trying to get the clarity that you get, and my frustration is mounting.

Still, it's a great program. You prove it.

Dennis Burton

Go Back to forum