• Register
  • Help

Topic: How well does a wind controller with samples emulate a wind instr?

Share/Bookmark

How well does a wind controller with samples emulate a wind instr?

Can anyone tell me how closely using a wind controller with a sample library like Quantum Leap Saxes is to actually playing a real sax?

I live in a small NYC apt and I\'d like to add a Wind Controller to my setup so I can get back into playing without annoying the neighbors, but I\'m not sure if using a sample library would actually provide a decent simulation of playing a sax or clarinet.

Re: How well does a wind controller with samples emulate a wind instr?

General consensus here seems to be you\'ll do better with a VL70-m physical modeler (or other modeling system if anybody would actually get off their tail and build an updated system...)

The VL70 is set up to be driven from a wind controller, sample libraries are not.

There are other opinions, also...

Dasher

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: How well does a wind controller with samples emulate a wind instr?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PatrickP:
    Can anyone tell me how closely using a wind controller with a sample library like Quantum Leap Saxes is to actually playing a real sax?

I live in a small NYC apt and I\'d like to add a Wind Controller to my setup so I can get back into playing without annoying the neighbors, but I\'m not sure if using a sample library would actually provide a decent simulation of playing a sax or clarinet.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A decent simulation, yes. I\'d agree that a modeling synth will probably provide more of a \"playing sensation.\" However, a sampler will probably provide a more realistic track as a production tool. AND, with the proper samples and mapping technique, samplers can approach a modeling synth\'s malleable range. Certainly filtering and velocity response can be mapped to give great results. This is easier with ensemble patches than with solo instruments however.

Clear as mud? Sorry, it\'s a hugely complex subject. It would take a book to fully explain the various issues and techniques, but this is at least the basic poop.

Go Back to forum