• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dark Island

Share/Bookmark

Dark Island

Okay, this is the first piece I've created with GPO. I decided to start simple, so I chose a violin solo that I particularly like, the purpose being to learn by doing. It's nothing like the complicated pieces that most of you post, but it's a tune I like a lot.

Hope you like it.

Dark Island

Re: Dark Island

Dark Island, I would have chosen another title, "Island of Dreams". What a wonderful melody this is, really great and your choice of reverb makes it come from the other side of the sea as a promising voice, full of hope and lovely thoughts, one is longing for, so often.

Raymond

HongKongCV:

Nice melody, indeed and well played on the GPO violin.
    Waiting for some accompaniment now so you can breathe
    new life into your solo instrument.

Welcome to this great Forum.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Nice melody, indeed and well played on the GPO violin.
    Waiting for some accompaniment now so you can breathe
    new life into your solo instrument.Welcome to this great Forum.Jack
    No, please, no accompaniment. This is great as it is, just one distant voice from beyond, begging, singing, longing for fullfillment.

Before I get to lyrical, I think I go to bed, with this song in my mind,

Raymond

CV, I'm torn. I love the melody just as it is, but I would also love to hear an accompaniment, as well. What to do?

I know, keep writing your music!

CV,

What a lovely solo melody. This works perfectly without accompaniment. However I think it would be justified to repeat and restate the melody with an accompaniment if you should desire to do so. No need to write complex music, just good music, as you have done here so beautifully.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

HongKongCV

Interesting moniker, would you mind explaining it? I have been to Hong Kong and enjoyed it a lot, but I see you are from Alabama, so I am curious as to the meaning.

Next, welcome to the Listening Room. This piece is a fine way to introduce yourself here.

I also think the piece stands well as a solo, but would like to see the violin a little more centered.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I'm very glad you guys liked the song. I had to sweat blood to get it just right. (grin)

And I wish I could take credit for composing the melody, but I cannot. The melody was composed in 1958 by Ian Maclachlan for a BBC TV series by the same name. Last year, when I hit 42, I had a small mid-life crisis. Not being able to afford a Ferrari, and not being willing to risk my wife's wrath over a mistress (jk), I ended up learning how to play the celtic fiddle. One of the songs I learned, and one of the three I like the most so far, was Dark Island. I just decided to see if I could play the melody as it deserved through GPO, since I am as yet incapable of doing so on my fiddle.

I actually managed to get the sound very cose to what I was after... that haunting melody hanging in the air by a thread. (grin) Now if I can just get similar results with my fiddle.

As to my handle, I must admit that it is a carryover from a pun. To be more precise, an extremely esoteric pun that I never expect anybody to get.

When I bought my brand new Chevy Cavalier several years ago, I got the vanity license plate "HNG KNG". The reason traces back to a fairly bad, really old sci-fi movie entitled "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension". In it the title character had a band called "Buckaroo Banzai and the Hong Kong Cavaliers". By putting that license plate on that car, I was the proud owner of a Hong Kong Cavalier. The license plate just sorta hung around through the years, and I use it occasionally as a login handle.

I know, I know... strange. But then, that's me.

I'll definitely be submitting more work, but it'll be a while. Crowded schedule for a while.

How can you possibly call

"The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension".

a bad movie? It is a classic. I didn't want to ask you at first if that is where it came from because, although it was a great movie, it is a rather obscure one at best.

I think it was the first time I saw Christopher Lloyd in a movie. The movie was hilarious and stupid and intelligent and a farce and I haven't seen it in years, but wouldn't mind watching it again.

But then I am a Peter Weller fan as well, so don't pay any heed to what I say.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

(grin) Yes, the movie is a bad one. But I enjoy it BECAUSE of that badness, much the way I like watching Plan 9 From Outer Space, Little Shop of Horrors (the original), Death Race 2000, and the world's only all-midget western (that was how it was advertised) The Terror of Tiny Town.

It WAS a bad movie. But it was bad in just the rightw ays to make it good.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast