• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas in June

Share/Bookmark

Christmas in June

This is an Overture/Prologue I've written for a project yet to be realized where the whole family would narrate a Christmas story. It purposely sounds like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. I imagine dialog starting at about the :45 mark.

This is really more of a solution looking for a problem

Overture-Prologue

Thank you for listening and comments are always welcome.

Steve Winkler

Re: Christmas in June

Steve

This has tons of material in it that can be expanded just as an overture should.

The bassoon just before the end does suggest a bad guy, perhaps a grinch-like character?

I have no problem to go with your solution and as a mathematician, I did look for one.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Steve,

Very creative and cleaver writing. Yes certainly has the feel of the Nutcracker, but that it what you intended so it is a good thing. Would love to hear the final outcome with the narrations.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Steve,

It sounds like you used the 'Nutcracker' for getting into the mood of what you intended the music to be, and you did that creatively!
    The result is that the music has a 'fairy tale' atmosphere and it is very suitable for added narration!
    Well done!

Yudit

Thank you guys for listening and the supportive comments.

Ron, I do have some more material that I may post later after I finish something longer I've been working on.

Thank you again for your comments.

Steve Winkler

Gorgeous!

I've come to very much look forward to your considered,
    thoughtful, beautifully crafted work, Steve; and you've clearly
    done your studies on Tchaikovsky's style... though I surely
    hear your hand at the helm in this, too.

Thanks for the early Christmas!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thank you David. I greatly appreciate your comments. Looking forward to hearing something from you again

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    This is an Overture/Prologue I've written for a project yet to be realized where the whole family would narrate a Christmas story. It purposely sounds like Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. I imagine dialog starting at about the :45 mark.

This is really more of a solution looking for a problem

Overture-Prologue

Thank you for listening and comments are always welcome.

Steve Winkler
    Refreshing melody with Russian style orchestration, Steve!

Fred

Steve,

This is a GREAT start to whatever it happens to turn into. As David (etLux) pointed out, the Tchaikovsky reference is obvious, but not overdone -- combined with more than enough originality (a Winklovsky?!). The festive thing you have going at the start transitions really well into what is obviously the spot where the narration would enter -- with very effective underpinning continuing on from there (really nice clarinet stuff!).

I certainly hope this expands into a completed, fully realized project -- what you've done here definitely definitely demands it. Keep it going!

Danny

Thank you Danny and Fredrick for your words of encouragement. As time permits I'll post two or three more pieces realized for this elusive project.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum