• Register
  • Help

Topic: Who here is from Austin TX?

Who here is from Austin TX?

Hey - I am headed to the game developers conference in Austin this Sept.

Anyone have a suggestion as to areas to stay away from, hotel-wise? Someone told me stay away from any "east" address, or anything east of I-35. Suggestions?

Out of my Mind

Re: Who here is from Austin TX?

Well, I’m from Houston, but east of I35 in Austin is not the best part of town – but it’s all relative. East Austin is not exactly like the lower bowels of Camden N.J….LOL (No offence to anyone from Jersey)

There are some decent places around the intersection of Ben White and I35. Might check those out.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thanks for the info.

You're best options for quality are downtown, south and west. North is ok, too, depending on where you are. East of I-35 has traditionally been the poorest part of town, and any hotels worth staying at on that side are going to be a good distance away from the convention center downtown. Unless you stay downtown, a rental car is going to be a must. Austin, like all Texas cities is built for cars, not pedestrians or public transit.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Go Back to forum