• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter Strings

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Strings

Hi all!

(And Kirk if you're listening! :-)

I really like the sound of the strings but I would like them to be "less" playable and more "sequencable".

As it is now, the velocity controls too much of the volume and the playing samples, in my opinion any way.

Is there an easy way to ignore velocity altogether and have, say CC#1, control the "velocity" (fading in and out of the different samples) instead and also have CC#2 to control the volume?

I can fix it as much as 0 velocity and set CC#2 on the volume (instead of CC#1) but how would one solve the velocity -> CC#1?

Anyone?

Kirk?
    We are the musikmakers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

Re: Kirk Hunter Strings

I'm curious about this too.. I've been sequencing a lot of music with this library recently and have been desiring to do things like smooth fade-outs with layers, etc. How can this be done?

I am a confused kid (81 years old). I also have KH"s Emerald. My confusion comes from volume, velocity and c11 expression, all three doing (to my ear) the same thing. Usually I leave velocity alone at say 100, set my volumes to balance the instruments, and use c11 to do the fade-in out. This I do because I got used to it, not due to some sound technical consideration. You are mentioning c1 and c2 for velocity and volume. To me velocity is a given property of the sound (in my sequencer, Sonar6) and even in GS3 Orchestra, I see no CONTROL for velocity,c1 is Modulation, c2 is breath.
    I am sure that I am just confused, would someone straighten me out? What is the difference between Velocity, Volume and Expression? For velocity I think maybe the sample sound a different timbre to emulate a soft bowed string and a hard bow. But between Volume and Expression I can not hear any difference?!!?

thanks

Ted

Velocity needs to be varied with Kirk's strings for better results. Velocity will change the amount of attack depending on which keyswitch you have selected. Different attacks are programmed such as legato, marcato and other variations of these. You can add more marcato by playing at higher velocities when using the marcato keyswitch.

I usually use CC7 (volume) for setting the overal level. CC11 is then used for changing levels during the song.

CC1 (modulation) is also used for some of the string patches. So you need to read the pdf files that came with your library for the different controllers used.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
    Hi all!

(And Kirk if you're listening! :-)

I really like the sound of the strings but I would like them to be "less" playable and more "sequencable".

As it is now, the velocity controls too much of the volume and the playing samples, in my opinion any way.

Is there an easy way to ignore velocity altogether and have, say CC#1, control the "velocity" (fading in and out of the different samples) instead and also have CC#2 to control the volume?

I can fix it as much as 0 velocity and set CC#2 on the volume (instead of CC#1) but how would one solve the velocity -> CC#1?

Anyone?

Kirk?
    Hello.

Ok, can you tell me EXACTLY which instrument you're wanting to edit, and I'll see what I can do. Additionally, I'll try to script a more flexible way to handle velocity as well.

Cheers,
    kirk

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter View Post
    Ok, can you tell me EXACTLY which instrument you're wanting to edit, and I'll see what I can do. Additionally, I'll try to script a more flexible way to handle velocity as well.
    Hi Kirk!

Well, what I want sounds simple, in my head anyway, but I'm not a Kontakt programmer.

I would like to have a CC (CC#1 for example) to control the velocity. So if I set the MW to 67, all attacks sound at velocity 67. And, of course, when I change it, the velocity value changes as well.

And, I'd like to have the control of the mod wheel (as it is today) shifted to another CC, for example #2 (breath), but with a greater range in the dynamics (of the volume, not the added vibrato).

I've made a quick template in Logic that does the CC-switching but it isn't as smooth as I'd like. Fixing it directly in Kontakt is a better option methinks. The word "fixing" isn't meant as there were something wrong with them, just that they don't fit *my* style.

If one could change this "control-mode" (play-mode or sequencer-mode) via a switch on the interface that would be even better. The strings as they are now are very playable and I enjoy playing and sketching but there is a lot of editing/cleaning up to do in a recorded part.

Instruments?
    Concert Strings
    01_Con_vns_k_av.nki
    01_Con_2vns_k_av.nki
    01_Con_vas_k_av.nki
    01_Con_vcs_k_av.nki
    01_Con_bs_k.nki

and (if you'd like):

Studio Strings, Muted
    01_Stu_vnsMt1_k_av.nki
    01_Stu_vnsMt2_k_av.nki
    01_Stu_vasMt_k_av.nki
    01_Stu_vcsMt_k_av.nki
    01_Stu_bsMt_k.nki

Thanks!
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

Ok, I'll take a stab at it.... stay tuned.

Thanks Kirk!

-Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

I must be retarded because I cannot for the life of me get a good staccato or spiccato sound out of Saphyr. I will go to my HALion Strings or else VSL for those nice short tight samples. I do like the control on the legato strings that Kirk has built-into the Kontakt player files. Very nice realtime control.

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    I must be retarded because I cannot for the life of me get a good staccato or spiccato sound out of Saphyr. I will go to my HALion Strings or else VSL for those nice short tight samples. I do like the control on the legato strings that Kirk has built-into the Kontakt player files. Very nice realtime control.
    Here are some new .nki files for Sapphire's strings that will give you more control of the staccato. You should replace you're old files with these. This includes 1st and 2nd violins, violas, cellos, basses, and a new more aggressive Strings Combinations file.

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/Sap...trStaccato.zip

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast