• Register
  • Help

Topic: Meeting at an advertising agency tomorrow...

Share/Bookmark

Meeting at an advertising agency tomorrow...

I have a meeting tomorrow with an advertising agency in London tomorrow and wondered if there is anything I should or should not say to the guy that I am meeting.

I have been trying to pin it down for ages and would like to get a job or even paid demo out of the meeting..

Thanks for any advice given.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Re: Meeting at an advertising agency tomorrow...

Simon,

I'm not sure how much difference there is between British and American Ad Agencies, but one thing I've learned is that they don't like to be "sold". I always lay off the hard sell, the name dropping and other efforts to impress. Instead, I ask lots of questions about the kind of work THEY'RE doing, THEIR creative approach, etc. Then I try to apply the Golden Rule of work relationships -- spend a LOT more time listening than talking.

I find that if I can get a substantive conversation going about the work in general, not only do I end up leaving a more positive impression...I learn valuable stuff along the way.

Good luck!!

Fred Story

Hi Fred and NYC,

Thanks for the comments and info, I can see how that would work. I have worked with this guy before, but that was a long time ago....

Many thanks for the advice and I will report back later when I get home.

Simon

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Be modest but remember you helped create this opportunity.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Yes this is true, and though I had the meeting today I am a bit more positive about continuing in music. I had thought about giving up, but will keep going.

I had worked with this guy before and have kept on trying, the thing is with Ad agencies it seems easier to get the direct contact than it is with TV production companies and what is going on in production.

Onwards and upwards....

Simon

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Thumbs up Re: Meeting at an advertising agency tomorrow...

Well.....if you love what you're doing that in itself is a great reward. Many people don't. To be successful as well is a great bonus; my belief though is that the one thing is a prerequisite for the other.

But art in general, music in particular, and self-employment demand enormous patience and commitment. You probably have those already. Chances are success is just looking for the right form ;-).

Contacts are everything, they are like the embers of the fire for Stone Age man, must be cared for. Being reliable, easy to get along with, cheap?!! Or not greedy shall we say.Being persistent without being a P.I.A. You probably know all this.

Have you offered to "help" with a project (for free), or to pitch for a job, to show them what you can do?

best,

Nigel

Go Back to forum