• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Voyage of Search...Solo violin and piano

Share/Bookmark

Voyage of Search...Solo violin and piano

Hi!

It has been a while, so I thought I would offer this piece I composed lately. It is for piano and solo violin. Any comments, suggestions on the composition, rendering and production are always welcome!

Hope you enjoy it at least half as much as I did playing it! [2:39 min]

Please NOTE: The song has now been remixed following the suggestions of several comments.

Voyage of Search

Del
    Last edited by DelCarry; 06-23-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Re: Voyage of Search...Solo violin and piano

You master both instruments very well, though the violin is a bit weak in comparison to the piano, as if the violin is playing way back. Talking about the composition, great. Nicely done those two voices talking to each other, one waiting for the other and setting in new moods (intro and the violin coming in). Listening to it the second time, I must repeat: a great composition!!

Raymond

Del,

This is a great composition and performance. I think it sounds more like the violin is stand to the side of the piano, sometimes the prominate voice and sometimes not. I like the effect, the work varies itself. Thanks for sharing it with the forum.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Del

Wonderful!

It is a minor thing, but I also would like to see the violin a little closer.

The violin brings in a very nice extra dimension to the piece and deserves to be center stage with the piano.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Del,

This is first class composing!
    Streaming beautifully on the path of your voyage, and very expressive!
    There's a good balance of piano and violin up to around 00:24, after which the piano sounds to me too much in front and middle.
    I could listen to this piece again and again and still hear something new each time! I wish it were longer...
    Thanks for letting us hear your creation!

Yudit

I agree with Raymond62 that the piano is a little overbearing. I think what might help solve that problem is having the violin panned halfway right and the piano halfway left. Overall, I absolutely loved this composition. Good work with rubato in both instruments. I don't know a lot about the GPO Steinway program, but I would suggest using the "close audience perspective".

Keep writing, and keep "fiddling" with the instruments.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    You master both instruments very well, though the violin is a bit weak in comparison to the piano, as if the violin is playing way back. Talking about the composition, great. Nicely done those two voices talking to each other, one waiting for the other and setting in new moods (intro and the violin coming in). Listening to it the second time, I must repeat: a great composition!!

Raymond
    Raymond - thanks for your kind words and suggestions! This is what is so great about this forum. As you well know, when composing a piece we hear it way too many times and quickly lose our objectivity. In the past people have told me the Strad violin was too harsh and too upfront so for this piece I softened the EQ and I forgot that there was only two instruments so my usual reverb setting was too far back-more suited to an ensemble I would guess. (on auto-pilot) I MIGHT repost the song soon with everyone's mixing suggestions ASAP.

By the way I have listened to your last posts and wanted to say that your tenacity has certainly paid off. Shear hard work, patience and attention to detail have their rewards. A great example to us all! Composing is just very hard work-in a fun way of course!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Well, I agree that the balance is a little off, but the piece is absolutely superb. It has a very improvisatory air about it, yet it is clear that a firm compositional hand is guiding it.

Enjoyed this a lot!

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Delicate and soothing, exactly my taste! The violin suits perfectly, and I don't really mind that the violin kind of 'faded' after some time. This would be the only, yet minor flaw of the 'rendering' or however you call it. Overall, superb job with the piano and choice of key as well!
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Hi,

I like your writing very much!
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast