Best,
    Jay

Re: VSL Chamber Strings II Anitras Dance

thanks for your kind reaction.
    best
    Steffen

I enjoyed that piece too.

I liked the tempo variations and how it gives life to this piece. I'm curious how you handled that? Do you write the changes after etc..?

The short fast notes which make up the melody are not the most realistic programming I've heard. But i guess this is the kind of thing that is very hard to nail with samples.

I'm very exited to see VSL come up with this new library.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    I enjoyed that piece too.

I liked the tempo variations and how it gives life to this piece. I'm curious how you handled that? Do you write the changes after etc..?
    First let me thank you for your kind reaction.
    Tempochanges?
    - technically: thats pretty easy to handle via the midi tempotrack.
    - musically: on one hand it was most important to me, that Grieg called that dance a "mazurka". Thinking of chopin and what makes his mazurka that poetic they can be inspired me for using the technical means of the tempotrack, on the other hand it is most intresting for me, and required some attention to achieve the necessary tempoflexibility that makes music breath and speak with keeping the sense of the metrical structure "intact".

The short fast notes which make up the melody are not the most realistic programming I've heard. But i guess this is the kind of thing that is very hard to nail with samples.
    meanwhile the VI allowed me especially in regard to the short notes to come astonishingly near to what the reference-reording was. So perhaps you may have another interpretation in mind?

I'm very exited to see VSL come up with this new library.
    It is already available!

So you entered the tempo changes in the tempo track after then.

OK, thank for this detailed answer.

Didn't like the room sound - sounded like someones front room. It needs a nice concert hall IMHO
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

It has rich convolution reverb with teattro di aquilea impulses.
    It seems if you have quite a nice "front room" ;-)

best Steffen

P.S.:
    remember that those are not "Appassionata Strings" but a small ensemble of "Chamber Strings":
    Violin ensemble (6 players)
    Viola ensemble (4 players)
    Cello ensemble (3 players)
    Double bass ensemble (2 players

Great rendering, but I agree with Dave Da Tooba King ;-)

I would have used a 960L small-medium hall with more early reflections (I still don't like "real" hall iRs... but that's my problem... )

If you'd like an experiment, I could remaster a dry rendering with another ambience...

Esp. the triangle is now too much up front, like the conductor is playing ;-)

Keep up this great work!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos View Post
    Great rendering, but I agree with Dave Da Tooba King ;-)

I would have used a 960L small-medium hall with more early reflections (I still don't like "real" hall iRs... but that's my problem... )

If you'd like an experiment, I could try a remaster with another ambience...
    OK concerning the reverb I realy like to contact you next time while I check the mix. It would be quite intresting than to me to hear your proposal.
    Meanwhile, this Demo is already online and I personally have not that problem, if the chamberstrings sound a bit more intimate than a Mahler-like Apassionatastring-section.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos View Post
    Esp. the triangle is now too much up front, like the conductor is playing ;-)
    Sh... You've got me!
    ... Ok, I confess Its really the conducter playing the Triangel, which was a pritty hard job for me;-)

But seriously: thanks Peter for your kind esteem of my little rendering.

best
    Steffen

Go Back to forum