• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: slightly OT: Play with your food!!!

Share/Bookmark

slightly OT: Play with your food!!!

A friend sent me a link to the Vienna Vegetable Orchestra. They make musical instruments out of everyday produce and have just released their second CD.

Check it out and be sure to watch the video on the video page! Interesting stuff!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: slightly OT: Play with your food!!!

I tried to view the video, but it won't load. But finally we can produce some healthy music, good for vibres, slimming ....etc. Maybe a must for Gary to fight against overweighted composers and listeners. And afterwards one can eat the whole orchestra, is it digestable?

I opt for a potatoe STRAD or a pumpkin piano. Or should I stick to the aubergine piccolo?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    Interesting stuff! D
    I'll tell you what's interesting Dan.

The way Americans hold their forks. That drives me almost into a fit of distraction. I can't believe the way Americans play with their meals - unbelievable!!!

Although it's getting worse here nowadays. I saw a neanderthal the other day holding a knife and fork - imagine clenching your fists - and then somehow ramming a knife and fork into them. How is that possible?

This is the world today.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

The way Americans hold their forks. That drives me almost into a fit of distraction. I can't believe the way Americans play with their meals - unbelievable!!!
    No doubt that will change once Bush leaves office!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

sounds delicious

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post

Although it's getting worse here nowadays. I saw a neanderthal the other day holding a knife and fork - imagine clenching your fists - and then somehow ramming a knife and fork into them. How is that possible?

This is the world today.

Well, I have never seen such a thing as you describe. Perhaps it is a trait learned from an island nation?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I have never seen such a thing as you describe. Perhaps it is a trait learned from an island nation?

Richard
    Don't be obtuse Richard. You know very well you all hold your forks like desert spoons.

Dan,
    The sound was pleasant, but all the chords were in root position and the tuber was flat.

Soggily,
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

While I enjoy the sounds of the vegetable orchestra, I wish they would use chocolate and processed food. It would seem more delicious.

You have to remember that during the Revolutionary War, Americans needed a way to catch foreign spies during meals. So one of the first things they had to pay attention to was of course fork-hand positioning. Today, there are many variations on fork holding throughout this super huge awesome nation, some styles evolving from the late 1770s, some being introduced with new fork designs, and some being affected by plate shape and content. There are many factors that go into fork holding, not least of all the distribution of strength in the fingers and wrists and the table height. Over all, Americans have evolved to cope with these many changes by making nuances in the fork holding position that may not be noticeable by those who did not grow up learning our astoundingly efficient and artful fork holding ways, but eventually my book on the subject will be released and the world will have access to the fork holding decision making processes that comes so naturally and unconsciously to those who know it well.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    evolving from the late 1770s,
    You realize no doubt, that after your, if I may say so, magnificent triumph in the War of Independence that you Americans missed a trick.

It was at that point that Americans should then have sailed en mass to England - holding only their forks.

The English would have cringed and fled in fear into the shadows (caused by the rays of reflecting sunlight from the forks no doubt) at the sight of Americans and the way they interact with their cutlery - and yet another great triumph could have been yours!

Go Back to forum