• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestration question - please help me identify this

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration question - please help me identify this

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/NES_Ex.wav

Is a very short intro to an example piece here:

http://www.newerascoring.com/orchestra.html

I am trying to figure out what exactly is happening here - specifically the violins. It's not very distinct, and is not easy for me to mak out. Is it a triplet pattern, playing

D-A-D
    D-A-D

or perhaps a straight 2 pattern simply playing D-A

And are the 1st and 2nd violins, a) 1 octave apart, or, b) in unison (with the violas an octave lower), or are they playing D-A and A-D respectively?

Any insight will be much appreciated.

Tnaks in advance.

Re: Orchestration question - please help me identify this

I'm in a laptop right now, all my musical stuff are packed and ready to go to Greece, so can't be sure, but I believe I know the composer and he hangs out here and in other places as well. My guess is that he would have little problem sharing his wisdom, cause he's a very fine composer and a fine man as well!

Now, to my ears it just sounds like the violins are playing D-A-D, not two notes (D-A). At least this is my impression. Now, the violins sound rather full and since it's the intro of the track and the orchestra joins in later, I would guess that it might be all violins (violins I and II) and not only the 1st violins, playing to get a fuller sound, but can't be sure.

Do keep in mind that this is a live recording, not samples, right?

Also, your second link requires registration so I did join, but still waiting for the e-mail to arive.

Hope it helps a little

My take on this is first violin triplets, first note slurred with the second on a down bow and second and third note dotted with third note on an up bow. The two viola staccato notes create the feeling of depth and to me it sounds like only first violins playing in unison.

Hey

I hear two violin lines: an arppegiated major chord in triplets -(low) do me sol(up) and
    (high) do sol me (down). Second set of strings playing the first and third beat of the triplet in repetition giving the strong 3-1, 3-1 accent.

I could be wrong. My ears and I have a stormy working relationship.

best
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

I suspect it is this, however it is difficult to tell from such a short extract.

Justin

Thanks for the replies.

Nikolas - if you could ask him, that would be great! Thanks! And yes, it is a live recording.

I don't know - some good ideas here, but it's so hard to tell.

Justin - what is that in bass clef? Celli? All violins are written in treble clef, and violas in alto clef...

Cheers.

I agree with that score posting above regarding the top line, but the lower line I hear in the same rhythm as the top D-A-D line, F-D-F F-D-F F#-D-F# F#-D-F#, clearly opens in minor and switches to major.

Top line sounds to me like violins 1 and 2 together, lower line in violas.

Mike

Nikolas - have you made your way back to Greece and have you run into the composer? Just checking...

Go Back to forum