• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Nova - WW Trio

Share/Bookmark

Nova - WW Trio

I have updated the folder that Has Nova, there are now all three movements availabe.

This is the first movement of a woodwind trio I am writing for the Cleveland Composer's Guild. I plan two more movements.

It is simply called: NOVA I

This is the second movement: NOVA II

This is the third movement: NOVA III

It's done all in finale taking advantage of the Convolution and Compression available in the KP2.

Now that the performance is over I have recieved the "professional" CD of the performance, I thought this community would like to hear "real people" playing the composition - well, one of the "real people" is my brother, but...

Here is:

NOVA I

NOVA II

NOVA III

by a woodwind trio consisting of:

Judy Elias - Flute
    Richard Rayer - Clarinet
    Marc Fannin - Bassoon

Please Enjoy these fantastic trio (These players are excellent!)

Bill
    Last edited by wrayer; 11-21-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: New Info
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Nova - WW Trio

I find this very interesting, but I'm having a tough time trying to find words to say why Let me think...

The motives used through out are really catchy, and I just love how the parts stick out individually, yet manage to blend in with the other two. This is a really interesting mood you've created, and I enjoy it for that

One thing, what is the whistle-type sound I'm hearing at the beginning and end of the piece? I can't figure it out!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hi Michael, Thanks for listening. It is scored for Flute, Claritnet and Bassoon. I guess the 'whistle' you are hearing is the flute. I have been taught contemporary music by professors of the 'Polish' school. I pay very little attention to chord structure, and place my emphasis on line and direction. I like to 'give the player' something to play and yet create a musical backdrop.
    I hope this answers your question. Look up 'Lutoslawski' and listen to some of his work!

My best,

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill

These 3 instruments work together great. Nice setting of moods and the quick little riffs really help to set this piece up well.

Musings would work well for this, but I am not sure I see a Nova. When I think of a Nova, I see a massive release of energy in a short amount of time.

Nice ending !!

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks Ron, I am glad you enjoyed it.

To all: I have added the 2nd and 3rd movements so it is now a complete work.

Challenge #10 Winner

This piece has been submitted to the Cleveland Composer's Guild for consideration for performance.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,
    I listened to NOVA I.
    Nice interplay of the instruments.
    I'll return to listen to 2 remaing.
    Gary

I really REALLY enjoyed this.
    I have to say my favourite is the 2nd movement.
    I just love the imitative treatment, where each voice instead of coming in as a given STILL seems to be a surprise, and a pleasure.

Hi Bill,

All three of these are just outstanding compositionally, and the rendering is quite well done as well. When considering small woodwind ensembles, I automatically think of "playfulness", which is especially evident in the first mvt. and much of the third, although more dramatically so (if that even makes sense!). The lyric solo work in the second is also very impressive, especially with the opening clarinet statement. Great stuff! Congratulations! This deserves a performance, most definitely!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I really REALLY enjoyed this.
    I have to say my favourite is the 2nd movement.
    I just love the imitative treatment, where each voice instead of coming in as a given STILL seems to be a surprise, and a pleasure.
    Thanks, qccowboy, I am glad you enjoyed work. BTW the 2nd mm is my favorite also. I realize this piece is a 'tough listen' for many, but I enjoy this style of writing also.

Thanks for listening,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast