• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nova Scotia Fantasy (Sirulnikoff)

Share/Bookmark

Nova Scotia Fantasy (Sirulnikoff)

Hi All,

This is a Concert Band piece of mine from a number of years ago. I rendered it using instruments from GPO and JABB.

I hope you like it.

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=12750

Regards,

Jack

Re: Nova Scotia Fantasy (Sirulnikoff)

Hey Jack, Nice work!; enjoyed the combination of songs - has a "quirky, fun, circus, child-like" personality. Orchestrated very well, but the recording sounds a "bit" dry. It's always fun to return to older works and revive them. Thanks for sharing this one.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Thanks for dropping by, Michael. I always appreciate your comments, particularly since I find your work so compelling.

I tried a few different reverbs, and I guess I opted for this one (Concert Hall Light in Cool Edit Pro) because I felt it obscured details less, and still gave some sense of ambience. I'll try experimenting a little more with it.

Regards,

Jack

Jack

Reverb can be such a pain to get right. I agree with Michael that a touch more would help, but as you said, it can obscure the details in a piece. Sometimes it helps to break up the instruments when applying the reverb, I usually give more to percusion than anything else and then play around with the rest. For some reason I also give more reverb to the brass as well and let them really ring.

Overall, it is still a nice job.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Hi Ron,

You're right. I didn't split up the instruments into groups before applying the reverb. I created a dry wav file of the total orchestration, and applied the reverb to it. It was partly laziness. I sometimes do try applying it to groups of instrument in Sonar. And then use Perfect Space Concert Hall Near, Far, and Middle, but I'm not too conversant with using that plug-in, and how to make adjustments with it. The subtleties of reverb still somewhat escape me.

Thanks for listening, and for your comments.

Regards,

Jack

I'm not trying to sound too much of a complainer, but since when is an user allowed to have 2 threads on page 1 of this subforum?
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

I'm not sure there is a rule about it, as I have seen many instances of this, but in this case I actually didn't post the most recent thread until the previous thread was on page 2. If someone chooses to comment on that thread, that is something I have no control over.

Okay, my apologies then
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Hi Jack,

Lovely textures and arranging in here. You've certainly got concert band orchestration nailed. Those solo trumpet and euphonium lines are wonderful!

Thanks for posting this! I enjoyed listening.

Best,
    Reegs

Hi Reegs,

Thanks for listening, and for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jack

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast