• Register
  • Help

Topic: A lttle legato with Vienna Instruments SE

Share/Bookmark

A lttle legato with Vienna Instruments SE

This is a bit of an experiment with some wind instruments from Vienna Instruments SE (extended library).

Legato Experiment for Wind Trio

It uses mostly legato samples with a few other articulations that are available in the VISE (staccato, legato, sustain, and sforzando samples). I wish I had more articulations. (Trills and grace notes would be nice.)

Please give it a listen. I'd like to hear your comments.

Marko

Re: A lttle legato with Vienna Instruments SE

Oh man -that is just sooooo late 50's/early 60's.

Very, very good. I would prefer just a tad more ambience so that I can hear just little bit of a tail.

Thumbs up Re: A lttle legato with Vienna Instruments SE

I really like that! I could listen to wind band music all day. I've worn out a couple of Hindemith CDs that way.

You captured the character of the trio extremely authentically in the silky writing. The performance is great. Even the fast staccatos sound pretty good - tricky to get them right with the limited articulations in SE.

Reverb and spatials are great. What is it?

The only bit of advice I might offer is to roll off the end of the long held sustained notes just a little bit. You could use the expression control for that. It would be quite a tedious editing job for a very subtle effect, but it's worth it, IMO. It's a pity SE doesn't come with dynamic patches like pfp, dim/cresc etc. I would have expected some to be included in SE Plus, but no.

In all, a lovely miniature. Cheers and good luck!

Really nice performance!
    Its beeen just ten days, since I started to explore SE (with all extensions)
    I was impressed by how easy it is to make it work. I did a few arrangements which sound already good without extensive tweaking. However, one always desires more articulations. I felt that anything fast played by strings is a bit of a problem. The legato is intended for up to medium speed. If anybody has found some workaround for that, I would be gratefull to learn about it. On July, 15th, VSL will announce some new upgrade-path for SE. I find it quite a big jump from SE to the cube versions. The quality is all there, but it should cost a little less than a new car.

Thanks Paul.

Thanks NDSimpson.

Thanks veetquitar.

I used one instance of Altiverb (a scoring stage setting) and I panned the bass clarinet and and bassoon left and right with the flute just off center. I used the power panning in Vienna Ensemble 2.

I held back on the reverb.

I would like to get the whole wood wind set, but I'm not sure what to do. The two volumes of woodwinds have a lot of stuff that I would not use. When VSL makes their individual instruments downloadable, I wonder if I'll be able to access it with my dsl connection. I wonder if we'll be able to download every articulation that is available for the instruments on the dvd sets.

And the discount runs out on July 15th!

What to do!?

Any suggestions?

Marko

1 instance of Altiverb is usually good enough.

I don't know Marko - because money means different things to each individual; but if you can afford to get what ever library you require - I would just get it. Especially when you can write like that.

Go Back to forum