• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mahler-style portamento - who does it best?

Share/Bookmark

Mahler-style portamento - who does it best?

hello everybody,

currently i use EWQLSO Plat. and I like it a lot except it is missing portamento.

as a romantic at heart i cannot live without those broad sweeping portamentos which can be found in many mahler symphonies for example.

in search for a remedy i came across the vast offerings of vienna strings but the demos do not tell me if they have been done with the standard or extended versions.

so far i narrowed my focus down on either orchestral strings 1 or apassionata. - but with either i do not know which one would be the best fit for the desired effect of mahlerian portamentos and if any of the two, would the standard version be enough? i at least hope so... i may spring for one standard edition, but i am not really ready to shell out $1300 just for portamento on violins and violas that do not even come with a separate 2nd violin group... but i am curious about your input on the matter! thanks in advance.
    Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 18GB, Mac OS Leopard, MOTU Ultralite
    Logic Pro 9.x, Kontakt 4.x, EWQLSO Plat. XP plus, LASS and other libraries
    keyboards/synths old and new, and a well of inspiration :-)

Re: Mahler-style portamento - who does it best?

At the Vienna site, each product page has a "Samples" link. When you click this, it lists every articulation in the collection and whether you can find it in the Standard or Extended version.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    At the Vienna site, each product page has a "Samples" link. When you click this, it lists every articulation in the collection and whether you can find it in the Standard or Extended version.
    i saw this.
    but since you cannot audition the articulations i would like to have it confirmed by someone who has those libraries which one would suit my purpose.
    the different portamento articulations that are listed for standard or extended may sound quite different and some may be a better choice than others in order to achieve what i outlined in the post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Crescendo View Post
    i saw this.
    but since you cannot audition the articulations i would like to have it confirmed by someone who has those libraries which one would suit my purpose.
    the different portamento articulations that are listed for standard or extended may sound quite different and some may be a better choice than others in order to achieve what i outlined in the post above.
    Your best bet is probably Appassionata Standard + Extended.

Orch Strings 1 will only get you Violins and Violas.

Appassionata has the whole family. There's very little in the basses (no portamento), but there's good articulations in the celli. And overall, Appassionata will probably get you the sound you want more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    Your best bet is probably Appassionata Standard + Extended.

Orch Strings 1 will only get you Violins and Violas.

Appassionata has the whole family. There's very little in the basses (no portamento), but there's good articulations in the celli. And overall, Appassionata will probably get you the sound you want more easily.

the appassionata makes only sense adding the extended version? so, i assume that the standard articulations that provide the portamento in it are not enough to achieve my goal?

i guess having only violins and violas doing the portamento is ok for right now - would the articulations in the standard orchestral strings 1 have the necessary articulations.

sorry me for bumping this thread once again - i still would like to have one question answered...

on the vienna site it states for the appassionata strings:

standard edition:
    Legato/portamento

extended:
    Legato/portamento with 4 velocity sustains

can someone explain to me how those additional velocity sustains in the extended edition work out compared to the standard - is this anything that ends up being really recognizable or even proves to be something essential when it is actually used, or will the standard library do?

as i stated in the original post i am looking for solutions to have have real "romantic" sounding portamento but i really would not like to spend more than the cost for a standard library if possible. any further advice is appreciated!

Have you checked Kirk Hunter strings? The Intervalive feature is really great. I do love it!
    For romantic sounding is perfect.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by TARI View Post
    Have you checked Kirk Hunter strings? The Intervalive feature is really great. I do love it!
    For romantic sounding is perfect.
    are those recorded portamentos or scripted? can you point me to a specific product of those strings and are there sound samples?

If you want inexpensive portamento:

VSL SE Strings (download)

Bought that a few months ago.. it's only 195 EUR ($305 USD) and you get portamentos with that for violins, violas, cellos and basses (both sections and solos), and the portamentos sound great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3 View Post
    If you want inexpensive portamento:

VSL SE Strings (download)

Bought that a few months ago.. it's only 195 EUR ($305 USD) and you get portamentos with that for violins, violas, cellos and basses (both sections and solos), and the portamentos sound great IMO.
    Good point! I think he'll get portamento for solo, chamber and ensemble strings. Layering the solo on the ensemble or chamber should make it less predictable. And they are real portamento.

I think the bigger package contain more portamento. I know the solo strings does but I'm not sure about the other package. I'm pretty sure they have an shorter edited versions of the portamento in chamber and VI strings one. Which could help too.

Go Back to forum