• Register
  • Help

Topic: Euphonium Cures Asthma

Share/Bookmark

Euphonium Cures Asthma

Theres at least one member of the forum who might be interested in this :

A nine-year-old boy has beaten asthma by taking up the euphonium.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/DEREKG%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]
    NORTH NEWS
    Ryan Harrison plays his euphonium
    Ryan Harrison, was diagnosed with the condition as a baby, and would get breathless when just standing and talking.
    But six months after beginning lessons on the brass instrument, which looks like a small version of a tuba, his symptoms have diminished.
    His mother, Marie Johnson, 32, said: "He began playing at the beginning of the year, and within a couple of weeks his breathlessness completely disappeared. Since then he has had no wheezing at all.
    "I've heard of wind instruments helping children with asthma and I think it has helped Ryan manage his breathing and strengthened the muscles in his diaphragm.
    "He still has sinus problems and sounds bunged up, but the wheezing has stopped."
    The mother-of-three, of Chester-le-Street, whose son now plays with the West Pelton District and Community Brass Band, added: "Ryan is really pleased because it has made a massive difference to his quality of life.
    "Beforehand he could get breathless just standing and talking. That was quite frightening and it would happen at least once a week.
    "I would definitely recommend trying a wind instrument to others with asthma as it's another option which doesn't involve medication".
    Leanne Male, assistant director of research at Asthma UK, said: "There has been very little scientific research on the benefits of wind and brass instruments to people with asthma.
    "However, there seems to be increasing amounts of anecdotal evidence suggesting that it does help some people with asthma to better manage their condition.
    "We think this is likely because musicians learn to focus and be aware of their breathing. They are also strengthening the muscles involved in breathing."
    She added: "Asthma UK is all for people trying new breathing techniques or taking up wind instruments, as long as they continue to take prescribed medication".
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Re: Euphonium Cures Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Theres at least one member of the forum who might be interested in this :
    I wonder who that may be...

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    I wonder who that may be...
    Well, make that two, and one of them is me. I discovered that about twelve years ago. Cornet & Flugel horn were very helpful.

Richard

Now that's very interesting!

I had chronic asthma as a child, and I often attribute my tailing-off of symptoms by around age 18 to playing the oboe, together with school cross-country running, and the fact that we used to keep guinea pigs in the house (which was terrible at first but eventually I became immune to the associated allergens).

After Googling a bit more on the topic, I've found that the oboe is often cited as an excellent instrument for helping with asthma - so my belief is justified! I don't know if my mother realised this, but I should thank her for encouraging me to take it up at the age of 10!

Mark.

An excellent cure!

Now has there been any research into possible side-effects?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

I heard that the spit valve makes a great inhaler.

...side-effects?
    Hyperventilation?

Rob

I wouldn't say cure. I speak from personal experience here.

Playing a wind instrument does strengthen your lungs considerably. But, so does running. What I found in high school was that in the Spring, I had major breath control problems (all that pollen in the air). I couldn't hold my breath for long periods when playing my horn. I would have to exhale some air before taking my next breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    An excellent cure!

Now has there been any research into possible side-effects?
    Possible injuries from objects passing through windows, set in motion by angry neighbors who can't tolerate the noise?

Richard

Would you believe (cough...) I JUST saw (wheeze...) this (hack...) post?

So who's the guy who was supposed to be interested in it?

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum