• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: If you wanted a Heavy Metal guitar library, what would you need in it?

Share/Bookmark

If you wanted a Heavy Metal guitar library, what would you need in it?

At some point I want to do a Heavy Guitar library. I have some cool ideas and am wondering about what people looking for this type of library would want.

It of course wouldn\'t be completely and utterly versatile in terms of voicings since I plan on makign atleast part of it distorted for an out of the box experience (I have ideas for a non distorted library that could blow minds but will take more time)

Anyhow, would one specific tone work? or should I really consider multiple tones?

What kind of things do you think are missing from current libraries. What would you want to be able to achieve. I may stay away from making it a library that focuses on expressive soloing. I think there are a few libraries that can get you there already, not to mention the amount of work it would be,but rhythmic chugs and more typical Heavy guitar playing is missing IMO and I think I can get somethign going that can work well.

What bands should I be listening to so I can emulate style, and tone (two different things make sure to ehlp me differentiate what oyu like)

Anyhow,m dont expect this library to be out anytime soon. I\'m busy on a project that will take me into June, but hopefully sometime after that I can start on it.

If you guys can\'t wait that long, then possibly the ideas will be out for another devloper to make one. There is one being made isn\'t there?

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 03-04-2002).]

Re: If you wanted a Heavy Metal guitar library, what would you need in it?

Hi King!

I wonder how much you would charge to make me a custom library? ))))

I\'ve got leads covered. The libraries I have allow me to create realistic leads. The only area still suffering is the power single notes, power chords, power strums, mutes, etc.

Reference material:

Judas Priest \"You got another thing coming.\" - single/bar chord strumming with longer sustained chords.

Fuel \"The Last Time\" - full power chords.

Godsmack \"Alive\" - Full power chords, sustained, plus good power single notes!

Metallica \"Enter SandMan\" Another good example of strums and chords.

You know what would be REALLY cool, is if the rythm libraries were in stereo, but the left and right channel samples were two different sessions (hard panned), slightly delayed in timing and eq, to give the effect of two guitar players, actually it would be two guitar players!

Dammit Munz..

tahts one of my \"cool ideas\"

in fact I\'m going further to put in Mono versions of each channel so you can play them indipentantly and then a stereo version with each mono placed in a dual mono file for each side.

i\'m also thinkng of doing \"mimic\" samples that mimic playing styles and tones of popular songs. Mostly focusing on chugs and single notes for rhythm...or rhythms in a similar style that I\'m trying to mimic. This may include more than jsut 2 guitars but possibly up to four or more to get a single tone.

soudns like
    Like Randy Rhodes-Crazy Train

John Petrucci/DT-Caught in a Web

Metallica-Enter Sandman/Sad But True

I was thinking Early can halen, but I\'m not sure...jsut because I may not be able to get that tone perfectly... tho I doubt any of them will be perfect...

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

[This message has been edited by KingIdiot (edited 03-05-2002).]

<Dammit Munz.. tahts one of my \"cool ideas\">

You should have known we\'d be on the same wave length on this one...

<in fact I\'m going further to put in Mono versions of each channel so you can play them indipentantly and then a stereo version with each mono placed in a dual mono file for each side.>

Yes, this is cool. Defintely would kick the realism factor up a notch. FAT SOUND!!!

<i\'m also thinkng of doing \"mimic\" samples that mimic playing styles and tones of popular songs. Mostly focusing on chugs and single notes for rhythm...or rhythms in a similar style that I\'m trying to mimic. This may include more than jsut 2 guitars but possibly up to four or more to get a single tone.>

For sure, when I listen closely to rock music in the studio, they are obviously overlaying a few sessions, especially on the rythm tracks. and I think that\'s the reason the present libraries lack realism, out of the box. Granted, lately I\'ve learned to layer different libraries together, not quantize as much on certain layers, etc. It does help, but your idea is the way to go.

Another option is fret noise/scrapes when a key is released. It would be cool to be able to control the direction of fret noise, going up if going to a higher note, going down if going to a lower note. This is obviously another very important key to getting a realistic sound.

Randy Rhodes-Crazy Train, cool sound, but I never really liked his rhtym sound too much. I prefer the fuller sounding chords of todays rock groups.

John Petrucci/DT-Caught in a Web, I don\'t know the guys name but if this is Dream Theater then a big yes!

Metallica-Enter Sandman/Sad But True, this is a good tone. That whole album sounded really good.

Early Van Halen, as far as single notes, leads, yes, but I have NEVER been a fan of his somewhat thin sounding chord strums.

Since you are a guitar player, I think it would be a breeze to lay down a 2 octave bar chord rythm patch. Just as an example how easy it would be to blow away what\'s already out there as far as power bar chords go. Perhaps 4 velocities per note, starting from a power mute to a full sustained chord (no loops just about a 5 sec sustain). And while you\'re at it, throw in another 2 octaves, for the other stroke. (up and down), Don\'t forget a copy of the same patch but this time with the release noise thrown in, direction controlled by the mod wheel ofcourse. I need it by this weekend, bill me!

HAHAHA

yah we\'re on the same wavelength...

I\'ve got one better for release triggers. Different ideas

pull offs....hammerons...palm mute stops

Its all there man, but most likely not with every tone....thats jsut too much work...

I dont like Rhodes or Van halen Rhythm tone either...but I think it may be usable to some people

yes Dream Theater....the album awake has some of my favorite heavy guitar tone.

I also want to get some of the \"pop/industrial\" sounds. Some NIN from Broken, and Marylin Manson, some KMFDM, but that sounds like metallica anyway

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Ahrrrr!! You are teasing me now with all your guitar discussions! I myself can\'t wait to dig into the Strat....

Cheers

Scarbee

hehheh...

and who was the one asking for more discussion?

Munz would it be intrusive to you to have chug programs that were programmed to work with different tempo variations? Say one thats good for 70-100bpm 16ths, and one thats good for 100-120bpm...etc. Tuned programs...so to speak. This might mean more samples. Tho not much more space....still. Is it intrusive?

How low would you want the lowest note to be?

I\'m thinking the low B on my seven should be enough....but is A really needed? ( I dont wantt o go out of my way to set up the guitar to play in A) I may do some \"dropped D\" chords on a fixed bridge so I can get the A on that I guess.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

King
    Perfect, go go go go for it. A good heavy metal library is what i always
    wanted to see for gigasampler.

I think that the rythm part is the most important issue to deal with
    when makeing this kind of library. Heavy emphasis should be put on
    the chugs, mutes, slides and powerchords i think. Here we talk about several vel. layers(hehe.. i hope ).
    In addition to this, a selection of fx such as divebombs, scrapes etc. would
    be welcomed, but this should not be the main priority.

I like the idea of a playable distorted sound right out of the box. This seems to be
    a huge job tho if it`s to work properly.

I suggest you take a listen to Judas Priest, maby even some Slade stuff, it`s great.
    Bouth these band has put a high emphasis om the rythm. There are of course several
    other bands out there who can really inspire you in terms of things to do in a
    library like this. The thing is i think, that you should not try to cover too mutch
    regarding styles, fx and so.. The few things you do tho, do them to the absolute
    highest standards possible.

What kind of guitar are you planning to use? If you do distorted sounds, what kind of
    distortion are we talking about? I would like to see the use of a guitar with humbucker
    pickups for that fat beefy sound.

Again, i am very pleased to see that you are planning to do this library. I can`t wait
    to eventually hear the results and try one out myselves. Yes, i know i have to be patient..
    hehe You know, i dont mind waiting several months or even over a year. This well might be
    the library i`m looking for.

------------------
    ......... regards

I\'\'m planning on samplign several guitars.

My main axe is a 89/90 Ibanez 7-string universe. One of the first types when Vai was making them with Ibanez I believe.

I\'ve friend with a relaly nice PRS and a Les Paul Custom that I plan on doing some Dropped D tuning with.

I\'d like to do multiple velocity but it may get cumberesome doing too many and may not be worth it at high distortion levels. Maybe more variations/samples of attacks.

Actually i do have an out there idea....

hmmm

I\'ll test some theories out. Tho I really didn\'t want to get into the crazy sound design stuff until later when I had the time to do a \"clean\" version of the 7 string...

Dammit Scarbee!... I\'ve got this pretty amazing idea, I thought it was only going to be limited to the clean guitar, but it may actually be something I can work into a distorted library....

I wanted to keep this one more \"simple\" grrr hopefully the idea doesn\'t work that well

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Hi King,

I\'ve long wanted a -really- heavy sounding metal rhythm guitar library that has enough articulations to be useful. I\'ve had Zimmer guitars Vol.1 for a while now, and though it has a couple heavier patches... they\'re far from being useful in making actual metal, and really lack versatility in general.

I would be fine with a new library having distortion right out of the box, provided its a sufficiently hard tone.

One thing I definitely would want is power chord slide up/downs. I\'m sure you already thought of that, but its something that really is necessary for a good heavy rhythm section. Taking Metallica as an example, they use slides a good bit... Several of the riffs from Master of Puppets (the song) use them, for example. Listen at :25 and later in the riff that starts at :52 . I have to bust out my guitar and play a part myself if I want a sound approximating that. Even if you only did a few common power chord slides it would be quite useful.

Im glad you mentioned hammer-ons/pull-offs. A nice selection of those would be helpful.

I think I\'d also want to have multiple varient downstroke samples for the same power chord. You wouldn\'t have to do it all over the fretboard, but say, for an E5 (the staple of many a metal song) it would be great to have at least two samples to alternate (ala Maestro Tools) so the sound isn\'t so mechanically repetitve on fast passages. Maybe even use velocity layers to house a few different samples (but not actually different velocity levels, just alternate samples) for variety\'s sake, if that makes any sense. Not to dwell on Metallica, but Hetfield always loved blasting downstrokes on the low E (none of those wimpy upstrokes needed!). It would be preferable to have some variety there if one wanted to recreate such a performance. Hm, I suppose fast sequenced power chord runs would probably sound better if the samples were clean with distortion added after the fact as opposed to pre-distorted... I can\'t say for sure though.

Maybe I\'m a bit predisposed to dislike chugging loops since the ones in Zimmer aren\'t all that useful. I guess if a library had good variety in the styles used it would be allright, but I think I\'d rather sequence my own riffs.

Another articulation I\'d like to see is really super fast tremolo picking on the upper registers. That technique is used throughout a ton of black metal and other european styles (like Swedish melodic death metal). Definitely don\'t have any way to get that sound currently short of playing it myself. For an example right off the top of my head, listen to the title track off \'The Somberlain\' by Dissection, if you can find it... Or practically anything by Immortal will have some, like \'Withstand the Fall of Time\' off \'Heart of Winter\'.

As for listening recommendations (albums with a representative song in quotes):

Testament- The Gathering: \"DNR (Do Not Ressuscitate)\" a great example of super fast heavy metal that has a reasonably clear guitar tone. If I had a library that could emulate that sound...

Meshuggah- Chaosphere: \"New Millenium Cyanide Christ\" some of the most intense metal ever, with crazy time changes and a really unique etxra heavy sound. If I had a libray that sounded like their guitars and the Drumkit from Hell (and a warped sense of timing), I\'d have a Meshuggah Construction Kit!

Children of Bodom- Follow the Reaper: \"Children of Decadence\" A really crisp and clear rhythm guitar sound thats quite distinct even in the fastest passages.

Anyhow, I hope this long winded post was of some value. I\'ll be eager to hear what you eventually come up with in regards to a metal guitar library!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast