• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pitch bend - advice needed

Share/Bookmark

Question Pitch bend - advice needed

Hi,

I've never used Pitch Bend before and I would like to use it now with solo strings, preferably by inserting the data by hand in the List Editor (Cubase).

I've searched the forum and the net about this subject, and I have been experimenting with the wheel and hand inserting data, trying out different combinations of the parameters involved.

Only 1 trial out of around 20 gives me something that is getting close to what I know it should sound… so it’s still a mystery to me…

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated, especially screen shots of the controller’s data in any editor view and matching audio clip.

Thanks,

Yudit

Re: Pitch bend - advice needed

The only advice I can give is that its all a matter of trial and error to get the sound you want. Pitch bend is not the same as sliding from one note to another and won't sound like it. Maybe using portamento will give you more the effect you want. You can pitch bend a guitar by pulling the string to one side, I've never heard of this being done on strings but it might be possible. I tried to use pitchbend on a fast sax run where the player fingers the notes but tongues only the first. It sounded like a cat being strangled.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Pitch bend is not the same as sliding from one note to another and won't sound like it.
    In what way is sliding different from pitch bend??
    How do you create a slide?

More specific questions:

Should the bended note overlap the next note?
    Where should the bend start and end?
    What is the connection between the amount of PB values in the controller's track (0+/-8000) and the PB number in the instrument's panel (2)?

Yudit

Pitch bend is invariably set to 2 semitones although this can be varied. In JABB for instance the trombones are set to 6 semitones because you can easily slide from one note to another.
    To get a bend one a guitar you pull the string to one side effectively tightening it, I don't think you can do this on a violin, here you slide your finger along the string shortening it. You can't shorten a fretted string progressively; if you slide a guitar note, the pitch changes in jumps as your finger crosses the frets. Similarly you can't in theory pitch bend keyed instruments like trumpet, clarinet, oboe etc. However blowing technique means that some bending does occur, I believe its very hard to do.

The usual technique is to play the first note and then bend to the second and hold. You can't overlap because all the notes bend
    If you play a C then pitch bend to D, then playing D will sound E unless the pitch bend is released, this will form a break between the notes whilst the pitch bend resets. Even if you draw in the drop from +4096 to 0 you can still hear it (at least on my sound card).

You don't change the pitch, you play the sample faster so it starts to sound different. A pitch bent tone does not sound like the original tone, its marginal but will be noticeable if the two notes are played side by side.

I'm not being very coherent here, a bit muddled, hope this helps a bit
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by sunbird View Post
    I've never used Pitch Bend before and I would like to use it now with solo strings, preferably by inserting the data by hand in the List Editor (Cubase).
    Hi Yudit,

Are you using the strings in GPO, or might you be using the Strad or Gofriller? Also, it might help if you gave us an example of a passage you are working on, so we can see what sort of effect you are after.

If you are sliding between two distinct notes using pitch bend, the shape of the curve can make a big difference. I believe the most realistic slides make a bit of an "S" shaped curve, in that they are a little slow to start, speed up in the middle, and slow down again as they approach the target note. I usually draw these curves by hand by trial and error in the piano roll view of Sonar. Most of the time it takes a number of redrawings before I'm satisfied. It definitely can be a bit tedious if you have a lot of them.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thanks, Derek and Jamie for your suggestions!

I have experimented some more, still without much success, but I will continue to experiment and hopefully the right solution will come my way...
    I'm not giving up!
    Yudit

The other thing you may want to consider is that most pitch bend messages are interpreted in such a way that changes to values near zero seem to have a much bigger effect than those at +/-1024. If you just want a subtle bend flat and back, zoom way in, and start tweaking the tiny values near zero. You should be able to hear very small changes easily.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum