• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT-Help with new computer

Share/Bookmark

OT-Help with new computer

I finally broke down and bought a new general use computer to replace my old HP Pavillion. (This is not my DAW so this won't involve things like sample libraries, Sonar, Finale, etc.)

So, my question is simply this: Will I need to re-install all my programs from scratch on the new computer or will some kind of data migration program take care of my needs? I'm talking about programs such as Quicken, McAfee, MS Office, Firefox. I know I have installation disks for some of these programs but some of them were installed via direct download over the 'net and I'm not sure how to go about recovering those programs. I'm excited to get the new computer but I'm anticipating the setting up to be rather daunting, especially since I've not done this before. Are there any potential pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any and all help offered.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: OT-Help with new computer

I'm not sure but I believe Norton Ghost might help, you could look into this.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I seem to remember there was an article on this in Sound on Sound recently, but I can't find it right now. I think there are programs that will do program migration, including all the necessary registry entries. The only stumbling block might be with things that require registration that uses dynamic identifaction of your hardware (such as NI stuff). I'll keep hunting for the article - it may well be in an issue I've already taken into school for my students.
    David

Thanks, David. That would be a real help. I've got a few days to get everything ready as the new box won't arrive until Wednesday. So much to do . . . so little time . . . <sigh!>
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

When downloading those programs did you have a chance to save any setup files? If yes, try looking for them somewhere on your hard disks.

Yes, I did. I keep a folder called My Downloads which has most of the setup programs, at least for the programs I really want. Thanks for the reminder.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

There's a real handy util for Firefox called Foxmarks that uploads all you Bookmarks to their server so you can synchronize them across all your PC's - stationary or mobile. I'm in a similar situation, having just built a new machine, and Foxmarks made it really easy to recreate my old Firefox on my new machine. That is, after I had downloaded and installed Firefox on the new machine first.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Fire Fox bookmarks are most always located in:
    C:\DOCUME~1\Your User Name\APPLIC~1\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\Your Profile.DEF\bookmarks.html

Where "your user name" and "your profile" will be specific to your machine.

That one file, bookmarks.html contains all of your bookmarks and can easily be moved from machine to machine, manually or with a .bat.

Steve,

Any idea where Outlook keep its files? I need to move all of my stored emails as well as Contacts to a new PC.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Outlook files are in your profile which is located in the Documents and Settings folder. So the path will look something like: C:\documents and Settings\profilename\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Substitute your profile name for the profilename in the path above. If you right click on Start and select Explore, then you'll be inside your profile.

Jim

Go Back to forum