• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 64 bit version of Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

64 bit version of Kontakt

When NI releases the 64 Bit version of Kontakt how will this work
    to our advantage in all the 32 bit Daws?

Re: 64 bit version of Kontakt

IF 64-bit Kontakt runs on 32-bit DAWs, you will not be able to take advantage of the 2nd 32 bits.

You will need a 64 bit OS to use the 64 bit version of Kontakt. It will not work on a 32 bit OS.

Jim

I have not read the requirements for the NI 64 bit stuff, but Sonar has a 64 bit processing engine that runs very nicely on a 32 bit OS.The 64 bit stuff is the math inside the code. It gives much greater precision to the audio processing and rendering.Could this be what NI is talking about?
    It's a Viking thing.

Quote Originally Posted by holderofthehorns View Post
    I have not read the requirements for the NI 64 bit stuff, but Sonar has a 64 bit processing engine that runs very nicely on a 32 bit OS.The 64 bit stuff is the math inside the code. It gives much greater precision to the audio processing and rendering.Could this be what NI is talking about?
    I'd hope not. There really is no conceivable reason for Kontakt 3 to have a 64-bit mixing bus, but be incapable of accessing 64-bit memory addresses. Sonar is equipped for both, for the record, but it's a DAW and does mixing of lots more tracks than K3 would ever touch, and even there 64-bit summing buses is overkill.

K3's role as a sampler means that it should be able to load lots of samples simultaneously, so running on a 64-bit system where that approximately 3.6GB RAM limit is surpassable, it needs to be capable of surpassing it. Plus, this post on the NI forum indicates it will be for the 64-bit system support . It also indicates they haven't decided about supporting XP64 yet...

Reegs

Reegs, Good reply.
    So if one had the 64 bit version of Vista, one could take advantage of the 64 bit system when using NI, and feasably use much more ram for the samples.

The future of PC-Mac DAW production seems to get better all the time.
    It's a Viking thing.

64-bit processing path and 64-bit memory addressing are two completely different things and don't depend from each other in any way. You can have 64-bit processing path in a 32-bit program but for 64-bit memory addressing you need 64-bit DAW, 64-bit plugins, 64-bit OS and 64-bit compatible hardware. With the 64-bit K3 we are talking about memory addressing. Most likely there will be a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version developed side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by janila View Post
    You can have 64-bit processing path in a 32-bit program but for 64-bit memory addressing you need 64-bit DAW, 64-bit plugins, 64-bit OS and 64-bit compatible hardware. With the 64-bit K3 we are talking about memory addressing. Most likely there will be a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version developed side by side.
    I don't know why more sample player developers haven't gone the same route as VSL, where you can run the 64bit version of the player inside a 32bit host, obviously on a 64bit OS. This means that I can use all my plugs that aren't yet 64bit (most!!!) and still be able to access all the memory available on my PC. I'm sure that this will become unnecessary in a year or so, but for now it works really well.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I don't know why more sample player developers haven't gone the same route as VSL, where you can run the 64bit version of the player inside a 32bit host, obviously on a 64bit OS. This means that I can use all my plugs that aren't yet 64bit (most!!!) and still be able to access all the memory available on my PC. I'm sure that this will become unnecessary in a year or so, but for now it works really well.

D
    That would great, considering most of my ram intensive libraries are used in Kontakt.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

And clearly it can be done. Logic's EXS24 can use any available RAM over 5 GB, even though Logic Pro 8 itself is 32 bit.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum