• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GVI dongle problem

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy GVI dongle problem

I lost my dongle!!!
    Tascam does not look after me, because I live in Canada. Calling my Canadian rep of Tascam I got an answer that they have one for 90 dollars.
    I paid 50 for GVI ( I have GS3 Orchestra)! Do you think I should pay this 90? It is not so much the amount but the (to me obvious) ripping off for a dongle worth maybe 5?http://northernsounds.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif
    Unhappy
    Ted

Re: GVI dongle problem

Brotha' Man Ted,

That sucks.

I know you don't need any tips as you seem to know your apps. pretty well.

But I perform live and have many duties as well as distractions to contend with. Hence I have re wired the Port used for my dongle to reamain in a rubber sleeve inside of my 4U chassis.

It's a bite in the arse to get to it, but that's the beauty of the solution. I heard a few stories about sabotage that convinced me that Chance favors a prepared mind.

I was dongle free until 2 years ago, and now I have a fully packed dongle w/ 9 eLicenses. If I lost that I would be devastated.
    JimmyV

Hello Ted,

Nice to see your voice again lately.

When someone uses Tascam products, they get Tascam answers. I know how you feel. My best suggestion is to buy the damn thing and move on. The delay will cost you more in grief than biting the bullet. Getting back to your music will ease the pain and get you back on the road where you want to be.

Just one OF to another. Like to hear your music sometime.

Best,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Hi Ted,

Are they charging you $90 for a Syncrosoft eLicenser USB Key (the dongle) or are they charging you for both the dongle AND a new replacement license? I suspect you are paying for both.

With some vendors if you lose the dongle, you have to purchase a brand new license. That is why some suggest people get dongle-based licenses covered by their insurance policies.

You can buy a Syncrosoft license (or the key branded with a different name) a number of places. For example you can buy the Steinberg key (has the Steinberg name on it rather than Syncrosoft) for $25 U.S.:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Key?sku=708127

Of course the above would be an empty (license free) key.

Seems I remember a post where someone was putting all their licenses onto one dongle. If indeed that can be done then you might not need another Ted. That is if you have another. I use both the Steinberg and the Syncrosoft. Now I'll have to pay closer attention to them. How ya doin' Ted?
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Yes Rajay It Allows That.

It was my only choice for live use.

My USB ports won't allow multiple dongles as I disable them to avoid IRQ conflicts.

Even when disbled though, the ports allow enough juice to power up 2 x KS88's so I have no frickin' wall warts in my racks. It also let's me use the PCI MIDI I/O's that are critical for kernel level, live needs. USB MIDI is a viable solution, but the amount of MIDI CC's I use live chokes up USB MIDI forcing me to have a hardware MIDI panic button on my MX-8 patchbay. Using the PCI MIDI allows to me to have software MIDI Panic modules that are set to Auto, so if a certain channel gets a stuck note, it's even hard for me to detect.

If someone is using USB Dongles and USB MIDI together, it could be a real pain in the arse live.
    JimmyV

Thanks Scope. you're still using your MX-8? Wouldn't part with mine for the world. Hey Ted! You hear that? I got one right. Peace.
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

BTW,

I love hardware for it's long term stability and hands on use. It helps me load my project and just perform. Forte works well for some guys as it is a great MIDI tool, but it's soft and I detect too much latency for all of my moves. I actually must adjust vocals / FX and also act as the Monitor man and FOH. 5 wireless headsets w/ mics, and I have to use a soft talkback button to mute the mains, so we can discuss our gig while we play w/o stopping and loading, which not allowed on the stages I frequent. Actually you can, but once people notice the singer is stalling for the keyboardists load times, etc. The dance floor vacates, then the job usually does also.

www.midisolutions.com

I use their F8 1U for customisong of all expression pedals and switches along with the 2 x KS88's for mixing and monitoring.

Whenever I see a great idea that's a software solution, I can usually find a better hardware one that works w/ my Scope / GS4 DAW.
    JimmyV

You guys!

Thanks a lot. I will follow the advise and risk my dentures biting the bullet.
    Jamiha, I will have sometimes in the near future a few of my (de-) compositions on the web, and if you wish to suffer, I let you know when it is ready so you can hear some. (Please remember that I am an ancient one and my "style" is ancient too.....
    By the way, I am not going to buy GVI4, because I am still in hate-love relationship with GS3.
    But, I live in Mexico all winter and taking GVI down with me keeping me sane, not missing music for 4-5 months. Is there a way to take GS3 down there instead? Or to take one of my older GS versions? Can I get a registration using say Gigasampler? Or Gs 2 or 1, I have them all?
    Thanks again for the nice response, you all nice guys.

Ted

HI Ted

You pose a question I am not sure of. My belief is that Tascam has discontinued support of 2.5 and earlier versions and I don't know if that's right or not. I somehow think that means you can't re-install those versions because they don't give you the new key numbers for installation. I'd like to be wrong on that because my old computer died with 2.5 after several years of good service. When I bought GS3 it would not work on the computer I had built for it and after two and a half years of not being able to use G3 at all (I lost about 15 hundred dollars trying). I was advised to install GVI. That's all I have now. I hope they don't screw up GVI 4 when it comes out, and stop supporting GVI. Then I would drop Giga for good.

I hope someone can get me straight on what "no longer supporting" really means.

Best to you Ted. Looking forward to your stuff. I am stuck in the same time framework as you are and that's OK with me.

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Go Back to forum