• Register
  • Help

Topic: John Williams using Donnie's stuff

Share/Bookmark

John Williams using Donnie\'s stuff

Ok, now that I got your attention
    Here\'s a short demo using Donnie\'s reworked Prosonus Orchestral library to create some suspenseful background music: http://home.attbi.com/~nxcm/Suspense.mp3

If you must tell me how crappy it is, at least tell me why. I appreciate your opinions!

Have a great day

Re: John Williams using Donnie\'s stuff

Yes I must tell you how crappy it is - kidding!

Sounds full of suspense but the pizz sounds very wet and the exposed final chord sounds like it needs a little internal movement (like maybe a \'breath\' in the woodwind or cresc decresc cresc/vice versa).

If you wanted the pizz strings to sound far away ignore everything I said (maybe I don\'t mean far away - far away is ok but just a little \'tighter\' in the snap department).

I\'m only saying this a listener. I don\'t sequence and have no idea how one would do these things midi-wise - I\'m judging it as if it were an orchestra (i.e. give the players a little slap here and there).

Sounds damn good considering it seemed like five minutes ago your were asking advice on what to buy.

Well done.

(I hope this is helpful - it\'s hard to hear stuff sometimes when you\'re so close to it.)

MrA.
    Musically, nice-simple, but effective.
    Orchestrationally, not my area of experience (I don\'t do much with actual \'orchestra\' as opposed to \'band\'-but...)

Are there timps under the pizz strings or is that a reverb texture? If it\'s timps, nice effect. If it\'s reverb, they\'re too wet for my taste. The louder notes \'bloom\', which is generally something I personally try to avoid. Again, a matter of taste...

Nice beginning.

Dasher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    Yes I must tell you how crappy it is - kidding!

Sounds full of suspense but the pizz sounds very wet and the exposed final chord sounds like it needs a little internal movement (like maybe a \'breath\' in the woodwind or cresc decresc cresc/vice versa).

If you wanted the pizz strings to sound far away ignore everything I said (maybe I don\'t mean far away - far away is ok but just a little \'tighter\' in the snap department).

I\'m only saying this a listener. I don\'t sequence and have no idea how one would do these things midi-wise - I\'m judging it as if it were an orchestra (i.e. give the players a little slap here and there).

Sounds damn good considering it seemed like five minutes ago your were asking advice on what to buy.

Well done.

(I hope this is helpful - it\'s hard to hear stuff sometimes when you\'re so close to it.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Z6,

Thanks a lot for listening to the MP3 and for the encouraging comments!

The final chord is very ugly sitting out there naked on its own, I agree. The pizzicatos don\'t have any more reverb than the rest (I\'m not mixing, just using the Hall1Bright NFX1 effect on all the tracks).
    What you\'re hearing maybe are the timpani layered on the bottom. I suppose that you could achieve a similar effect with some extreme reverb texture.

This small track has just 2 distinct MIDI tracks replicated one on 3 instruments (String ensemble, flute, clarinet), the other on the Pizzicato Strings and the Timpani.
    However, there\'s some detuning on each track to give it a more complex texture. Also, roughly opposite pannings on the flute and the clarinet.

Just trying to achieve a suspenseful sound, halfway accomplished. But promising!

Musically, I had plenty more ideas when I didn\'t have the technology to put them into practice. Is this the musical version of a writer\'s block?

Anyways, thanks a lot for your comments, and don\'t slap too much your musicians when they don\'t get it right!

Take care

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    MrA.
    Musically, nice-simple, but effective.
    Orchestrationally, not my area of experience (I don\'t do much with actual \'orchestra\' as opposed to \'band\'-but...)

Are there timps under the pizz strings or is that a reverb texture? If it\'s timps, nice effect. If it\'s reverb, they\'re too wet for my taste. The louder notes \'bloom\', which is generally something I personally try to avoid. Again, a matter of taste...

Nice beginning.

Dasher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Dasher,

Thanks first of all for listening, and you\'re right on . There\'s Timpani layered under the pizzicatos (2 different MIDI tracks actually), with a velocity envelope applied in Cakewalk to the Timpani (Which is why, as you mentioned, they appear to be more noticeable as the pizzicato strings increase in tension-velocity)

The reverb is just NFX1 Hall1Bright applied on all the tracks equally.

Musically, I agree: Very simple (perhaps too much ) I just haven\'t been inspired enough to do more complex stuff since I started working with GigaStudio (Almost like I have too many instruments at my fingertips) Makes sense? Persaephone, Atonikan, Maelodike where art thou muses?

So, when you perform in your band, do you improvise much? What instruments do you play?
    Using GigaStudio yet?

Thanks for your time, and have a great day!

Mr A,

I play Hammond organ, acoustic piano and Roland XP-30 on the gig with a drummer who sings. We write sequences to play on a Roland SC-88, and I also have a Hammond/Susuki module to play when I have to do both piano and organ.

We\'re not using GS live YET, but I am in the planning stages. That IS my ultimate intention.

We play jazz, R&B, some lite rock, funk, pop, etc. Material ranges from some sequences written by the drummer(!) in the early days of MIDI for pop rock and R&B, to arrangements that appear on our album \'Crossfire\'. A LOT of improvisation, depending on the song. I have a solo that I can play virtually identically from night to night on Somewhere my Prints Will Come (the Kodak theme) and solo structures that I use on a number of tunes, but for the most part it\'s yer typical jazz-guy-tries-to-play-hotel-funk music, meaning anything reasonably inside goes, and sometimes it can go somewhat outside (tho the drummer REALLY LIKES the seventies...)

We generally have fun, but a small crowd as the hotel owner refuses to advertise.

If you\'re ever in the Monterey Bay area, c\'mon down. Monterey Beach Resort (new name) Thu-Fri-Sat 6:30-10:30.

Dasher

Go Back to forum