• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Two NEW Folk Songs!!!!!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Two NEW Folk Songs!!!!!!!!!

The one that I posed already was Star of the County Down.
    http://www.box.net/shared/518wf8um80

Now, to add to my collect of folk song arrangements are Green Bushes and Gravel Walk.

Green Bushes is an English folk song. It is in 3/4 and in Eb major. The beginning is a misterioso section, where the melody is introduced by the English horn and the oboe. The con moto section starts off with the flute having the melody, and they key is now Bb. Then the rest of the band enters, and it ends on a D Major chord....kinda because I felt like it, I guess.
    http://www.box.net/shared/8417qks4gc

Gravel Walk is a kind of Irish reel (thanks peerke112), I guess. A bassoon solo starts it off, and then it kinda just goes on from there. I had the most trouble with this piece because I didn't really know how to get the sound I wanted. I never composed anything in this style, so I was just kinda guessing and struggling my way through most of the time.
    http://www.box.net/shared/vpfw7sdgk4

Yeah, so just tell me what you think of both of them! Since the first one was written without saxophones, I just did that for the other two. Sorry saxophones!!!

Re: Two NEW Folk Songs!!!!!!!!!

Very interesting. Arrangement is good and I feel something similar to Japanese old songs. (especially, with Star of the County Down) I think it is come from the similar 5 tone scale (1,2,3,5,6th note).
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Well done again! I like these two, especially the second piece. There is a bit in the first piece where the volume is so low I could barely hear a solo instrument, and then as more instruments came in, the volume was OK again. Thanks for sharing these, John

Quote Originally Posted by Jun Yamamoto View Post
    Very interesting. Arrangement is good and I feel something similar to Japanese old songs. (especially, with Star of the County Down) I think it is come from the similar 5 tone scale (1,2,3,5,6th note).
    Thanks for sharing.
    Yeah, that's something I've noticed too. A lot of Japanese and Irish folk songs use pentatonic scales. Really the only true difference between them I think the the sort of dance feel that many of the Irish folk songs have, while the Japanese folk songs seem to be more majestic. Well, at least that's what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Well done again! I like these two, especially the second piece. There is a bit in the first piece where the volume is so low I could barely hear a solo instrument, and then as more instruments came in, the volume was OK again. Thanks for sharing these, John
    Yeah, I wanted some parts to be really quiet and mysterious, but I guess I made them a little too quiet... I'll look into that.

Very nice! Especially the Gravel Walk (it's a "reel" btw.)I play that one for years now on my fiddle {
    You shure have a very creative look on those tunes! Thanks for sharing...
    ================================
    = Bluegrass, Irish, Old-Time, Texas-Style =
    ================================
    -> http://www.bluegrassmidisound.eu <-

I like your orchestrations!
    - Matt
    GPO - Jazz and Big Band - Logic Pro 7.2
    iMac G5 - 20" 2GHz - 2Gb RAM - MacOs X.4.11 Tiger

Very nice writing and orchestration. These pieces remind me a lot of the Vaughan Williams and Grainger folk tune collections. But nicely enhanced with the sound libraries. Thanks for sharing them here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by peerke112 View Post
    Very nice! Especially the Gravel Walk (it's a "reel" btw.)I play that one for years now on my fiddle
    Thanks! I knew that, but for some reason I couldn't think of it! I fixed it now.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric View Post
    Very nice writing and orchestration. These pieces remind me a lot of the Vaughan Williams and Grainger folk tune collections. But nicely enhanced with the sound libraries. Thanks for sharing them here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Yeah, I often consult my good friends Grainger, Vaughan Williams, Host, and Malcolm Arnold while composing these. I listen to them a lot anyway because I love their music.

Great work. Very musical. Great listening.

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Superb work on these, Cransworth! I have a difficult
    time calling these merely "arrangements"... with so
    much original thinking in them. And the craftsmanship
    is a joy to the ear.

With Gary, I could certainly see putting these together
    into a suite. There's a consistency in style and approach
    and the right contrast amongst individual pieces for it
    to work very well.

With admiration,