• Register
  • Help

Topic: Realistic trumpets- a challenge

Share/Bookmark

Realistic trumpets- a challenge

Does anyone have a song using JABB that sports realistic sounding trumpets? I have been struggling. I am using all of the articulations that should be used but still coming up short. Would love to hear something with realistic trumpets using JABB so I can convince myself of operator error and persevere.

Re: Realistic trumpets- a challenge

It can be challenge, depending on the source material and style.

Here's a short little Latin Jazz piece I wrote in 2005 that features some piccolo trumpet from GPO that I think works well: What Me Worry?

I have another possibly better example from JABB I will post later when I'm back in my studio.

But in general, yes I have the trumpet blues too. It can take a lot of careful manipulation of all the associated controllers to make convincing.

Perhaps you should post an example of something you are trying that is not working? Maybe a short MIDI file we might play with to try to get a good representative sound.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    It can be challenge, depending on the source material and style.

Here's a short little Latin Jazz piece I wrote in 2005 that features some piccolo trumpet from GPO that I think works well: What Me Worry?

I have another possibly better example from JABB I will post later when I'm back in my studio.

But in general, yes I have the trumpet blues too. It can take a lot of careful manipulation of all the associated controllers to make convincing.

Perhaps you should post an example of something you are trying that is not working? Maybe a short MIDI file we might play with to try to get a good representative sound.
    The song is located here:

http://www.soundclick.com/updateband...?bandID=405294

Still very frustrated with trumpets. I had to deliberately bury them in the mix because of their lack of realism. One of my challenges is that I am not a trumpet player so struggle with realistic use of articulations. However the JABB samples are lacking in aggression. I needed them to soar more. Even pounding the keyboard with a mallet to get the right dynamics did not help!

It may be time to supplement JABB with another trumpet library. I've had good luck with the Warp IV Screaming Trumpet with JABB. Also, the new Sample Modeled library - The Trumpet will also work quite well.

Jim

Here are some Trumpet Solo excerpts from Midi files available at the Jazz Page. This is some of the test material I'm using for the upcomming version of the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi. All Controller data is script generated based on the midi files notes and velocity and no sound processing other then what the K2 Player and the Multi Package provides were used.

JABB Notation Trumpet 1 Open Demo

Is this a new version of JABB you are discussing? Is there somewhere to read more about this?

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    Is this a new version of JABB you are discussing? Is there somewhere to read more about this?

The demo does not use a new version of JABB. It is a new, soon to be released version of the Phrase Modeled Performsnce Multi, a freely avaliable add on that automates the midi programming of the Garritan librarie's instruments. More info is available on the "New Multi For All Garritan K2 Libraries" sticky on the top of this forum. The important thing to note is the Multi adds no functionality to the libraries just automates what exists, all results of the scripting can be accomplished (and most likely improved on) by hand.

Go Back to forum