• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overview of new drum set library

Share/Bookmark

Overview of new drum set library

Obviously from the last demo, http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/GOTTATRY.mp3 Sean and I are working on a new drum set library that is long overdue (sorry! )

We should mention right from the start this is not your typical drum set library. In our opinion there are already several very good choices for what we call \"contemporary\" drum kits; Purrfect Drums, Drum Kit from Hell, Real Giga drums, etc.

Being Memphis boys we have decided to go for that old Staxx record Al Green feel. Having said that don\'t expect to plug on of these kits into your \"Nirvanesq\" track and expect great results. Like I said before there are plenty of good kits already out there for that. This is just a niche and a sound that we both really like and think is missing. Things are pretty far along so it shouldn\'t be much longer (I hope).

Also I would like to add one final note to this. Drum kits are like pianos in a way...everybody, and I mean everybody, THINKS they know what a good one and bad one sounds like. The fact of the matter however is that it\'s all just a matter of taste. For example, people have been ragging on Jim\'s snares. So what if some people don\'t like they way they sound. I\'ll bet you that there are just as many people out there that DO like them. Remember, it\'s just a sound characteristic we\'re talking about here NOT acutal sound quality.

Donnie

Hope you are going to enjoy whats coming up!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Overview of new drum set library

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by donnie:
    Obviously from the last demo, http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/GOTTATRY.mp3 Sean and I are working on a new drum set library that is long overdue (sorry! )

We should mention right from the start this is not your typical drum set library. In our opinion there are already several very good choices for what we call \"contemporary\" drum kits; Purrfect Drums, Drum Kit from Hell, Real Giga drums, etc.

Being Memphis boys we have decided to go for that old Staxx record Al Green feel. Having said that don\'t expect to plug on of these kits into your \"Nirvanesq\" track and expect great results. Like I said before there are plenty of good kits already out there for that. This is just a niche and a sound that we both really like and think is missing. Things are pretty far along so it shouldn\'t be much longer (I hope).

Also I would like to add one final note to this. Drum kits are like pianos in a way...everybody, and I mean everybody, THINKS they know what a good one and bad one sounds like. The fact of the matter however is that it\'s all just a matter of taste. For example, people have been ragging on Jim\'s snares. So what if some people don\'t like they way they sound. I\'ll bet you that there are just as many people out there that DO like them. Remember, it\'s just a sound characteristic we\'re talking about here NOT acutal sound quality.

Donnie

Hope you are going to enjoy whats coming up!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha. Hope you\'ve got your flameproof suits back from the cleaners.

Good luck Donnie. You\'re right, man--that sound is totally unrepresented in the available drum libraries, and it would cross over quite well into lots of genres!!

ps. Your comments on criticism of libraries are dead on. Taste and quality are separate issues which tend to be confused.

no flames from me. I thought the demo sounded nice.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

For me the Drums and Piano sounds are rockin. Sax is not quite at the same level,(might be performance/dynamics related) but better than sax libraries I\'ve heard in the past.

-david abraham

Go Back to forum