• Register
  • Help

Topic: Total Noob Here Who Needs Answers to Questions for Sake of Not Pulling Hair Out

Total Noob Here Who Needs Answers to Questions for Sake of Not Pulling Hair Out

Ok I will go ahead and give you my whole background so you can better understand my problem.

I am a 15 year old composer who has been blessed enough to be given parents who are supportive of my musical desires. I have good knowledge of computers and such, but extremely limited knowledge of how to get around samplers and DAWs and all of that technical stuff. I have been desperately wanting to record music for about a year now, but technical difficulties have prevented me from doing so.

Here is my setup:

Yamaha Motif XS8 ->
    Tascam US-1641 Interface ->
    Mac Pro 8 core, 16GB RAM with 4 750GB drives (3TB total) loaded with
    Logic Studio, EWQLSO Platinum Bundle, and Kontakt 3, all output through the Tascam interface to M-Audio BX8a's with a BX10s subwoofer.

I installed the EWQLSO, Logic Studio, and a few months later Kontakt 3 was the last thing to be installed. I have had no trouble whatsoever with Logic Studio (I haven't even begun to delve into Mainstage or Soundtrack Pro), and I've even successfully made 2 hip-hop songs (not my preferred genre, but I like to broaden my horizons ) in Logic Pro 8. MIDI in from my keyboard, audio from microphones, etc. all work beautifully within Logic, with the sound outputting from my monitors.

This all changes, however, when I open Kontakt 3 (as a stand-alone). In the
    Audio MIDI setup in Kontakt, it recognizes my interface as the audio output and the MIDI input. However it rarely ever recognizes when I play my keyboard, and even more rarely does the sound come through the interface and out my monitors (and this is only if I manually click the piano at the bottom of the window).
    Sometimes I can set the audio output to "Built-In Output" and manually click on the Kontakt's piano and the sound will come out of my Mac's speakers. Only once in months of owning Kontakt 3 have I been able to open Kontakt, play the keyboard and have the sound come out of my monitors without a hitch. Once this past week I opened Kontakt (loaded up Kontakt's Grand Piano) and it recognized my keyboard AND sent the audio out my monitors, but the audio was very distorted and grainy and sounded nothing like a piano. All the other samples sounded the same.
    This of course means that I have no way to use my EWQL library, and I am very disheartened by this.

I am hoping that being able to load Kontakt 3 into Logic 8 will solve some of my problems, but I have no idea how to do this.

If anybody can help me with this, I really would appreciate the help. And if that wouldn't work, any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

P.S.- I don't know if this is considered advertising or not, and if it is I will gladly remove it from my post, but if anybody wants to check out one of my hip-hop songs it is on YouTube. Search "Chronic Symphonic" and it is the first video.

Re: Total Noob Here Who Needs Answers to Questions for Sake of Not Pulling Hair Out

Hello -

Make sure that the Tascam US-1641 Interface is compatible with the the MacPro. If so, make sure the drivers are up to date, especially if you are using Leopard. (I honestly do not know if the Tascam US-1641 Interface works well with the MacPro but hopefully the support pages on the Tascam web site can help answer this.) If compatibility is not an issue, make sure the device is configured correctly within Apple's coreaudio/midi.

Another thought. . . make sure that the Kontakt 3 software is properly registered using the NI Service Center. This can be tricky for some. The latest version of the NI Service Center seems to work fine, though. This is also true for the EWQLSO Platinum Bundle. All of the products need to be properly registered through the NI Service Center. As you probably know, most older East-West products came with the now obsolete Kompakt sampler-software which Native-Instruments no longer makes or officially supports with updates. If you haven't already done this, you should still be able to register the EWQLSO Platinum Bundle using the NI Service Center. I believe that the East-West web site has a link to show how this is all done. Also, East-West is developing its own sampler-player which, for an upgrade-fee, will accommodate the EWQLSO Platinum Bundle. You probably also know this, but the now-obsolete Kompakt player does not work well with Intel-based Apple computers. The EWQLSO Platinum Bundle should work well within the Kontakt 3 player, though.

Make sure that the Kontakt 3's data-base is updated.

If all is registered correctly and if all hardware devices are configured correctly, the Logic Pro 8 program should open up Kontakt 3 and play back lovely sounds. If you need help doing this then please let me know. I can (or someone can) help you through the step-by-step process to get Kontakt 3 running on a Logic 8 project.

Here are a few Logic-related web links that I hope you find helpful:

Logic Pro Discussion Forums

Logic Pro Help

Good luck!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: Total Noob Here Who Needs Answers to Questions for Sake of Not Pulling Hair Out

Thank you very much for your response.

I've already registered Kontakt and EWQL via Service Center, so that should not be a problem.
    My interface is compatible because I use it with Logic without a problem all the time.

Here is an interesting scenario I just went through right before reading your reply:
    I opened up the Brass XP Kompakt player and sound came out my computer speaker, so i plugged in my headphones and played around with that for a while. Then I opened up Kontakt 3 to see what would happen, and I could play on my keyboard and sound would come through the headphones. Well then I got really adventurous and went to the Audio MIDI setup and switched Audio Output to US-1641. And what do you know, I had sound coming out of my monitors. I could load samples and play and be happy. I played with it for a while, trying to milk it for all it was worth, and then I quit Kontakt to see if I could reopen it and repeat my previous results. Well when I reopened it it would not recognize my keyboard and when i manually clicked on Kontakt's keyboard no sound would come out.
    I opened up the Brass XP Kompakt player and it wouldn't recognize my keyboard anymore either. Something is definitely wrong here.

Would you mind telling me how to open Kontakt in Logic Pro to see if that helps anything since I've never had any problems with Logic?

Thanks again,

Opening Kontakt 3 within Logic. . .

First, I've configured Logic to open to a "blank" screen. It just jives with my workflow.

Under "File", click "New". Within "New", click on "Empty Project". (I do this all the time rather than use the pre-configured templets. I, then, create my own templets.)

At this point, you should have an automatically placed drop-down box asking how many and what kind of tracks you want to create. For the sake of this demonstration, pick 1 track and "Software Instrument" as your type of track. Also, at this point, designate what Output you want to use; use one associated with your pre-configured audio device. Once you've made those choices, click "Create".

Under "Global Tracks" you should now see "Inst 1".

To the left of your screen, you should see "I/O". This would be located under "Setting, Inserts and Sends" of Inst 1. Click on the empty box within the "I/O" which should bring you a dialogue box asking you which software instrument to use. Toward the bottom of the dialogue box you SHOULD see "AU Instruments". From within "AU Instruments" you should should now see "Native Instruments". Slide the cursor over and you should now see Kontakt 3 as a choice of software instrument. Finally, high-light and click on "Stereo". Note: this will create ONE stereo instance of Kontakt 3. If you want to create a multi-instrument out, that will require another instruction on another post. LOL! Let's just get the basics down first.

So. . . . now you should have one instance of Kontakt 3. We are almost ready to go for sequencing within Logic Pro. All you have to do, at this point, is pick ONE instrument from within Kontakt 3. (Hopefully, you've updated Kontakt's Database which will enable you to easily pick instruments from "Load/Save".) Click on "Load/Save" and high-light "New Instrument from List". If everything is registered and configured correctly, and if your database is up to date, you should now see your choice of instruments from the "EWQLSO Platinum Bundle".

Once your instrument has been selected, you should be ready to sequence!

Happy sequencing!

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum