• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Soundcard for GPO

Soundcard for GPO

I was advised that I should "upgrade" my Creative SB Live! Value card if I want to use it with GPO, but no suggestions were made.
    So, could you advise what soundcard(s) should I look at? Many sound good, but the hype is always for gamers. Economics is also an issue, I should make some intelligent compromise.

Central Illinois

Re: Soundcard for GPO

Hi, Hopefully some other members will weigh in with advice for you. I assume you are using a PC and are talking about a PCI Audio Card that you would insert into a slot in your motherboard in place of the soundblaster. There are many available, as well as hardware USB and firewire interfaces that don't have to be installed in your computer.
    The first thing I would suggest is to look online at an Audio Store and not at your friendly neighborhood computer/electronics store. You need to figure out what your needs are as far as ins/outs, MIDI I/O, etc. The most basic models should give you at least a left/right in, MIDI in and out, and main and monitor outs. Something like the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 should be under $100. There are many PCI type Audio Interfaces on the market and it can be difficult to sort them out. Some of the online audio stores have guides designed to help you define your needs and understand the differences between the many devices. Good luck, John

I've been using an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 for years with great satisfaction. It's a PCI card so if you're using a new motherboard you have to check that there is an available PCI slot. Newer motherboards have the PCI Express slot instead of the ordinary PCI slot, I think.

Isn't the SBLive! a PCI card? If so then you shouldn't be having any problems replacing it with the Audiophile 2496.

Both of you are recommending the Audophile 2496 to replace the SBLive!
    Yes, the SBLive is a PCI card, so the 2496 or any other PCI card could be simply plugged into the same PCI slot. I will look into the 2496.
    In the mean time, any other suggestions for comparison purposes?
    Thanks for your interest and reply

Another 24/96 user here. No problems; no complaints.

Pacific Northwest

As bigears suggested, it all depends on what you want to do. If all you are looking to do is listen to GPO as you compose on a single computer, the Audiophile 2496 will be fine. If you eventually want to do any recording, either of just yourself or of an ensemble, then you would most likely need something better. Again, it all depends on what you intend to do.

The Audiophile cards are a very good place to start. I am also currently using one, though the 192. I had also used the 24/96, and it is also good. I am guessing you are on a 32 bit o/s, and the Audiophile cards work fine in that environment (64 bit o/s can be a different story).

Remember: You can also use the Delta 24/96 and the SB Live! side by side in the same computer!

That is what I have been doing for the past 5 years and there never was a problem. The M-Audio works fine for all ASIO applications, while the SB Live is great for everything that demands EAX and solid Directsound suppport (i.e. the occasional game... ) .
    Greetings from Vienna!
    My website: Above the staff.net

Hello Musicpete;
    It is nice to correspond with someone from Vienna. My birthplace was Budapest and I reside for over 50 years in Southern California - Capistrano beach near San Clemente.
    Your suggestion to use both the SB Live and the 2496 is enticing. But...
    I have 1 AGP slot (All in Wonder 9600 graphic card) and
    4 PCI slots:
    #1 is the SB Live
    #2 56 K Telephony Modem for XP (used for FAX etx)
    #3 Internet access modem connection card (cable COX)
    #4 Firewire card for graphics (camcorder, still pix etc)
    So where can I fit the 2496 card? I wonder can I move some card functions to USB? Plenty USB ports on the PC.
    Danke vielmahls, auf wiedersehen

If you don't need to record audio, SB Audigy 2 ZS is excellent for use with GPO; it has the necessary ASIO drivers. Probably the newer SB X-Fi cards are equally good. One of these instead of the Live card could be what your "upgrade" friend had in mind.

It seems that in this case you're out of luck with 2 soundcards. You would either need a new motherboard or technical wizardry to solve this.

Anyways: You could try the SB Live for GPO. Creative has a long standing history of awfully bad ASIO drivers and high latencies but it will work at least at a very basic level.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum