• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For Canada Day

For Canada Day

For Canada Day, and updated recording of the "Canadian Symphony".

All instruments GPO, performed via Finale 2008 and Kontakt Player 2.

1st movement: Northern Forests of Québec and Ontario, Andante.

2nd movement: The Three Prairie provinces - Dawn, the Threshing Machines, Sunset. Adagio

3rd movement: The Maritime provinces, rondo scherzando

Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the final two movements on time. My goal was for the 140th anniversary of Confederation, so it looks like it will have to wait for the 150th. (hey, what's another 8 years)

Re: For Canada Day

Hi Michel,
    I want to comment on just the 1st mvmt and
    will return later for the 2nd.
    First, I would think that the 1st mvt could be used as a stand-alone with its own title. Why should anyone dispute its purpose?
    As I listened, I was struck by lts clarity. Perhaps influenced by a black screen with a slender white thread in the middle, I heard an uninterupted flow of sounds with no disruption of the melodies. Walking through a dark forest with no break forth sun light.
    A very good product.

Thank-you gary.
    I only wish I could share the image that inspired the music.

I must have taken 50 pictures, in all sorts of formats, yet not ONE of them has the effect of BEING where I was when I was inspired to write this.

The forest was thick, the mountains around us were touching the clouds (which were particularly low that day). A bird was singing in the distance, alone, sad? Calling? Affirming?

I imagined walking through that dense forest of pines and maples and I could SEE that bird alone on its branch, defying the forest around it, and I FELT my insides rip open... with love and humility and pride...

This piece is nothing more than my love song to Canada. The marks that this beautiful country has left on my soul are indelible. They ARE my entire identity.

That lone bird, singing, returns at the end of the first movement, but as a ponderous fugato, which grows and allows the triumphant return of the opening fanfare material. The bird is ALSO part of the mountains, and it is also deeply impregnated with the very essence of the landscape in which it sings. Those mountains reverberate with the song of that lone bird.. and eventually, birds miles away in that forest, dozens of miles, hundreds of miles away, echo the song.

Very fine writing and orchestrating.

You handle Finale with the Kontakt 2 player
    with a great deal of finess. It's nice to hear
    a larger-scale composition played back from a
    notation program that sounds very professional.

Here's wishing you a happy summer in Canada.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Since I only have a short time to listen tonight and since I used to live in Maine and still consider myself a Maniac, I listened to the 3rd movement about the Maritime Provinces.

As always your music flows and is very cohesive and your expertise with Finale is truly amazing.

The only thing this piece needs is a good Nor'easter blowing thru.

Well done

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Bravo Michel!!

I really admire your ability to keep the listener engaged. You keep an idea going sensibly but not always in an expected manner. These pieces are no exception to that. I'm sure you have plenty to do, but I'm anxious to hear the other two movements.

Steve Winkler

Thank-you Jack, Ron and Steve.

Steve: I think one of the things that pleases me most when I listen to music IS the whole "not quite going where I expect it to" aspect.

Ron: I don't know if you were familiar with the themes I used in that particular movement, but they were each, in a way, a "national" anthem for each of the four Maritime provinces.

Jack: thank-you again. I work best directly from a score, and am very happy with the results that Finale achieves. Hopefully, in future, they will be giving users a bit more control over some of the fundamental playback features.

This is an absolutely stunning achievement! All three movements are wonderfully composed, orchestrated, and rendered. You have a rare command of strings/woodwinds/brass/percussion in equal measure which all adds up to a brilliant work for us to enjoy.

Congratulations on this excellent, excellent piece!

Michel - I only had time to listen to the first movement so far and I kept thinking as I listened how great this would sound with a real orchestra as there is a lot going on here that really needs to come out. Beautifully written!!

Congrats Michel!!

- Del
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

Shelton, Washington State

The word masterful comes to mind after listening to these three movements. I think you definitely have it down.

Like Del I'm wondering when is this going to be performed because it should be.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast