• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway Requirements

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Requirements

Hi all,

I am running XP SP2 with only 2.5 GB of ram (only? I remember when I thought that was a huge amount!).

What kind of performance can I expect running the Steinway piano along with GPO? Is the Steinway a memory hog?

Thanks!
    Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com
    "So....it's a profit deal!" - Navin R. Johnson

Re: Steinway Requirements

You should do just fine, unless your processor speed is dismal.

I'm using 3GB, and can run a large GPO orchestra (winds in threes) plus the Steinway all in real time at low latency. I'm very happy with the small processing footprint of the Steinway.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Usually it requires no more than 300MB of memory when I use it as stand-alone mode. GAS's memory efficiency is incredible.

I'm using it on my laptop(core duo 1.83Ghz, 3G ram) with firewire external HDD which contains the sample data. It works super smoothly.

Thanks for the replies. My processor speed is around 2.5 Ghz so it sounds like I'll be fine and I can also go up to 4 GB of ram if need be.

Muchas gracias!
    Steve
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com

It depends on how many notes you trigger simultaneously (or close to it) and how long those simultaneously triggered notes sound. "Normal" piano music should rarely be a problem with 2.5 Gb. However, I've got a few massive tone cluster piano things that will not play satisfactorily on the new Steinway with my meager 2Gb without dropouts or abrupt cutoffs. The sonically less engaging old GPO Steinway played this stuff like a champ. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp View Post
    I've got a few massive tone cluster piano things that will not play satisfactorily on the new Steinway with my meager 2Gb without dropouts or abrupt cutoffs. The sonically less engaging old GPO Steinway played this stuff like a champ. Oh well...
    I don't expect to be playing many elbow & knuckle cluster arrangements of songs so I'll probably be okay. I went ahead and placed my order yesterday.
    Steve Barden
    www.SteveBarden.com

Go Back to forum