• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "When You Wish Upon A Star"

Share/Bookmark

"When You Wish Upon A Star"

http://www.box.net/shared/zdxl3zls00

This is an arrangement I just finished for the LA Philharmonic Orchestra trombone section. They wanted "When You Wish Upon A Star" in the Stan Kenton style. I used Finale, Kontakt2, GJBB and with lots of help from Danny Williams and Derek (buckshead) i am learning (painfully slow) to incorporate Cubase. I like lots of bass and bass trombone and this shows it. When it is to be performed live by the group, the piano solo will done a by a guest jazz trombonist. I'm hoping that before I expire, I will grasp how to write better piano and drum parts.

sosmus (Steve)

Re: "When You Wish Upon A Star"

Nice chart, Mr. Steve. Great chord subs. I love it!

Your balance between the 'bones and the rhythm section is not good. The 'bones are way down and the piano, bass and drums are way up.

It could benefit from some tasty reverb also.

Fine job. Thanks for posting.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry:
    Thank you for listening and your suggestions. My next lesson is to learn how to add and adjust "reverb." The bad balance is my error in trying to make sure that the trmbs didn't overpower the rhythm. I'll do better on the next one rather than get entangled with redoing.

Up, up and away!

Steve

Really nice chart, David. Now we know where you've been lately. Thanks for doing it. It's my grand daughter's favorite tune.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Jerry:
    Thanks for your comment. This is a favorite for many people, including the leader of the trombone section, thus his request.
    Is it the beard that makes David and I look alike?

Steve

PS: A hundred or so years ago, I worked a one nighter in Henderson, KY. with the Leo Pieper Band. Anywhere near you?

Great chart, Steve.

Like the opening with the single trombone. Then, when
    things get a little mushy, BANG we go into HIGH SPEED
    gear. Great comping in the background. Man, that bass
    man must have blisters after playing his part (only kidding).

Awesome harmonies. Really like the changes.

Good luck on the performance.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Steve

When I first started using Sonar, I could have used the star to wish for some idea of how to use it, (I still need the wish, but that is beside the point). One thing I did try doing, which may or may not help, is to do a series of wav files from sibelius and the take them into Sonar and do the reverb and the mix there.

I assume in Finale you can record just the brass into a wav and just the others in a second wav, and then take them into cubase add some reverb to the brass and a touch of volume and then have the second wav file with everything else and then put the 2 together.

I did this at first by doing all of the instruments seperately and then mixing the wav files in Sonar (adding reverb as needed). Since you are comfortable with Finale, that may be a way to go for now. If not, well it didn't take me very long to type this out, so it is not a waste.

Since You are already getting a live playing of the piece, it really doesn't matter much though, does it?

Great job and congrats on the performance.

Very nice arrangement, although I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

Great work

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I don't know if this will help or not, its not intended as criticism, and you may have intended the effect but I think the first phrases should be more legato, especially on trombone, so that "when you wish upon a star" all on one breath, " makes no difference etc" second breath. You can get this effect using variable velocity and sustain. Its easy to add in Cubase.

You may already know this but carrying on from our earlier threads on Cubase use I thought I'd just make the suggestion. Its all subjective anyway.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Jack:

Man, that bass
    man must have blisters after playing his part (only kidding).
    He'd better have callouses BEFORE he plays this.

Awesome harmonies. Really like the changes.
    Thank you for noticing. This is my "raison d'etre."
    Good luck on the performance.
    Thanks again. I may get to go to LA to hear this and another chart of mine that they will be doing.

Steve

Ron:

I assume in Finale you can record just the brass into a wav and just the others in a second wav, and then take them into cubase add some reverb to the brass and a touch of volume and then have the second wav file with everything else and then put the 2 together.
    I haven't tried this yet but rest assured I will on my next attempt.

I did this at first by doing all of the instruments seperately and then mixing the wav files in Sonar (adding reverb as needed). Since you are comfortable with Finale, that may be a way to go for now. If not, well it didn't take me very long to type this out, so it is not a waste.
    I did try making a midi file out of just one part from a score but when I put it in Cubase, it entered the entire score. ??????? I'm sure I wasn't doing it correctly.

Since You are already getting a live playing of the piece, it really doesn't matter much though, does it?
    Thank you for understanding my plight. I'm spending an inordinate amount of time trying to learn how to "tweak" attacks, dynamics, et.al. so I can post something on the Forum that I know could be covered very quickly in a rehearsal with live players.

Thanks ever again for your comments and support.

Steve

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast