• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My CD is FINALLY finished -many thanks to this forum

Share/Bookmark

My CD is FINALLY finished -many thanks to this forum

I am happy to say that I have FINALLY finished my CD- Sean Dockery, Sojourns. It has been over a year and a half since I decided to move forward with this project and I can truly say that I’ve never worked harder on anything else in my life before this. Completing this project has been both very rewarding and very stressful. I spent nearly $20k for the project (musicians, mixing, mastering, replication, website, etc.), including the $2k that was wasted on my disastrous Las Vegas string session back in January. During the project I was privileged to meet many wonderful people who contributed on the CD, from the LA string performers to the wonderful Las Vegas sopranos & bagpipe players. I also learned a lot about string scoring & arrangement from a friend in Las Vegas who helped score the strings parts for me. I learned a big lesson on getting references before spending large sums of money on performers (again, the Las Vegas string debacle) and I learned to be more assertive with explaining to people exactly what I want, and to not settle for anything less than what I want. It was all a learning experience, just as with anything else in life. I just wanted to personally thank everyone on this great forum that listened to my songs and gave me constructive criticism and words of encouragement over the last year or so. I especially want to thank Hannes Frischat for his wonderful violin/viola performance on “Reminiscing”- I couldn’t have asked for a better performance. Thank you Hannes! I also wanted to thank John Graham for leading me to the LA String performers. I could mention so many other names from this forum that have helped me out, but would be here all day typing. Again- THANK YOU all!

www.SeanDockery.com is my newly re-designed website where you can hear clips from my CD.

Take care,

Sean Dockery

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: My CD is FINALLY finished -many thanks to this forum

Congratulations Sean! You deserve some serious R and R. Enjoy your July 4th!!!

The clips on your website sound fantastic-

-Alex

Congratulations Sean!

Your website design is great!

I think I may be the bad guy here....?! . I like some of your compositions, but listen: they are crying for a better mixing and mastering.... .

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thanks Alex! Thank you also, Gunther.....I think.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Congratulations, Sean! I've been there twice already, so I know how great it feels to finish such a project. I look forward to listening to your music.

(I'll have to listen tomorrow, my ears are just too tired right now. Sorry.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Sean,

congratulations to your big project!

I am sparing with these words in conjunction with music but I feel that there is a emotional and spiritual depth in your work that makes listen. Therefore I was upset by some of the patronizing comments on your LV session and this started me to involve in your music - and I am glad I could be a part of it.

The other thing that impresses me very much: The way you use samples teaming up with real recordings of instruments and voices may be a role model. You use samples for the composition process of course and also create great backgrounds, textures and moods that can be heared in your music. However you are clever and your musical ears help you to decide where then to replace the samples with real recordings for the release ... and also you know when a recording is not good enough for you and needs to be repeated or adjusted. I feel this altogether is a skillset for the composer of the 21th century that makes a difference.

If you ever feel you need me for a project, it will be an honour for me!

Best
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Congratulations Sean!
    I like some of your compositions, but listen: they are crying for a better mixing and mastering.... .
    Perhaps this is because you're listening to a lo-fi version streaming off of his site!

Good job on the Music and the cool website!

Congrats on the CD Sean. It was well worth the ups and downs. Like the clips. Wonderful work........Best, Joseph

Congratulations and best of luck!

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Go Back to forum